Makita drill

I have an old Makita cordless drill that I've had for about 15 years. It has quit working and I suspect the brushes. I have taken all the screws out of the housing but it looks like I have to remove the chuck to get it apart. How do I remove the chuck?

Engineman

Reply to
engineman

The last cordless drill chuck I removed had a left hand threaded hex socket screw accessed via the chuck (ie the hole where the bit normally goes). After this was removed the chuck would just screw off the drive shaft (normal right hand thread if I remember correctly).

Reply to
Dennis

Left hand thread, if it's reversible. If not, look at the Jacobs website.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Someone's done it before & made a nice web page about it:

Aint' the internet great!

Reply to
Dennis

Is it single direction (CW only) or reversible?

If single direction -- just put the chuck key in a hole and bash it with a chunk of 2x4 to rotate the chuck the direction the motor normally rotates it. This will unscrew it.

If reversible, you will want to open the chuck fully and check for a screw head in the center. If you find one, it is probably a

*left-hand* screw, and you want to unscrew it (clockwise) before the bashing as before to unscrew the chuck. Remember to replace the screw when you are done -- and be careful to not lose it, unless you want to find out how easy it is to get metric left-hand threaded screws locally. :-)

Good luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

564
Reply to
engineman

(..)

Keeping in mind that it is a left hand thread, I normally hold the wrench in the central machine screw and lay the length of the wrench against a trusty bench top.

Then I whack the far end of the wrench a couple times with a Fine Adjustment Tool.

Works for me every time.

(Don't tell anyone I do stuff like that.)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

O.K. That means that you can't stick the key in a hole to swat. :-)

Did you remember that it was likely to be a left-hand thread? That is something which is easy to forget as you get the wrench down there and finally start to turn. :-)

And it still *might* be right-hand thread. I've not had a Makita drill to work with.

Hmm ... a quick search for Makita drill repair finds this:

====================================================================== Removing Drill Chucks

Most hand-held drills have chucks that screw onto the shaft with a right-hand thread. Reversible drills lock the chuck in place with a left-hand threaded screw inside the chuck. To remove this screw, open the jaws of the chuck all the way and use a screwdriver to back out the screw (turning it clockwise, of course, to loosen it).

The easiest way to get the chuck off, once the screw is out, is to chuck the short end of a large Allen wrench into the drill, run the drill backwards at low speed, and let the long end of the Allen wrench bang into a concrete floor or a 2x4 or something until you hear a pop and the chuck just screws off. The impacts seem to loosen stuck threads very well.

The problem with my drill was that my clutch was damaged and I couldn't get enough of an impact to loosen the threads. I had to get to the clutch before I could get to the chuck. ======================================================================

He goes on to say how he finally got it apart.

He also has a URL for the Makita parts supply which includes the exploded parts diagram.

Try the large Allen wrench gripped by the chuck and swat the arm of that.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

564
Reply to
engineman

O.K.

Well ... it *might* be a right-hand screw on your model.

Can you download the manual and exploded drawings for it from the Makita site? Better to look it up before applying all the force you can get. You might start with the URL contained in the web page which I pointed you to before going back down to the shop.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Penetrating oil.