Manufacturing Economics

There are a few people here who take an interest in the big picture of meta lworking manufacturing -- in terms of jobs, specifically -- and who follow the discussions about globalization, automation, and so on.

For anyone interested, this article from 1996, which I don't remember readi ng at the time but which I strongly agreed with then, is a neck-snapper. Th e author was prescient; he could have written the same article last month, and people would have remarked that he has the insights:

"Start Taking the Backlash Against Globalization Seriously" by Klaus Schwab

edhuntress2

Interesting, but I think most peoples eyes will glaze over (the ones who should be reading it) after two paragraphs. If you can't condense it down to Twitter size it won't fly nowadays. Even the Pres elect repeats EVERYTHING several times. Ugh!

Okay, now go listen to this when you get the chance. It's long but I think you will find it fascinating. Especially their Fabtech insight:

All of their podcasts have been interesting so far. Beats anything else on the radio...

Leon Fisk

Articles are getting shorter. When I started writing, in the mid-70s, a typical feature was 2,200 - 2,500 words. I wrote some special reports that ran over 7,000.

Before I retired a few months ago, we were down to 1,200 - 1,500 words for a feature story.

Anyway, the striking thing about that article I linked to is how accurately he anticipated today's manufacturing situation -- and he wrote it 20 years ago.

Ulp! Over two hours. OK, I'll get to it soon.

Reply to
edhuntress2

The favoured thing in the Public (ie Civil) Service here is the "two-pager."

Reply to
Fred Smith

With digital publishing now, words per page are all over the place. So we're back to counting words -- or letting MS Word count words.

Reply to
edhuntress2