McMaster-Carr does not sell to Canada any more

Between Fastenal a few local guys and KBC tools I Can generally get all i need for the metalwork machining side

I use a few other suppliers for electronics Sound and A/V type stuff

As for crossing the border i Agree fully. I was trying to buy a used INDEX milling machine form the states and got in a "chicken and egg" issue the broker couldnt doanything till the trucking company had the LTL bill of lading and a reference to attach the customs paperwork to but the trucking company would not accept the shipment until the customs paperwork was done

Finally i said To hell with this rented an F-250 Drove to NJ where the machine was and drove it back across the border myself

At the border they pulled me over and i paid GST and PST on the declared value from ebay (14% tax)

It was an american made Machine being sold to canada there were no "duties" just the sales tax

But the Import and export rules HAVE gotten TOO stupid for brokered shipments

Brent Ottawa Canada

Reply to
Brent

Tom this might be a silly question? but digikey has a canadian warehouse so anything in there has avoided the silly customs rules

Reply to
Brent

Nope. No Canadian warehouse. They ship overnight from Thief River Falls, MN to Canada (and elsewhere in the world too). They just have a really good computer system and have partnered with Purolator in the case of Canadian sales. They're doing many millions of dollars in sales that way (no doubt more now that the US dollar is collapsing). Customs is a snap if the goods are properly described (tariff item number and country of origin). Digikey simply built that into their database (along with RoHS and other things of interest).

If you doubt my word (Klingon!) check quantity in stock of any particular part on any of the country-specific Digikey websites. You'll find the same numbers unless the manufacturer has told them they can't export it.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Digikey charges GST when they ship so the whipment does not have to go through Canada customs. Fast shipping.

Reply to
sparky

Digikey are my favorite electronic component supplier, I get grumpy when i need to scrounge up a minimum order for something they dont have.

I was Baffled by how fast and effectively they get stuff into Canada and how Simple it was. Canadian Catalog Canadian Dollars Next day Canadian shipping

Reply to
Brent