mechanical digital micrometer repair?

I purchased a Slocomb mechanical digital depth micrometer in broken condition at a flea market, on the theory that I might be able to repair it and if not the price was low enough that I wouldn't care too much.

It has two problems.

The cylindrical knurled portion of the thimble is rattling completely loose on the main portion of the screw. I could glue it on, but it seems like there is probably a more civilized repair. I haven't spotted a set screw for it though.

The other problem is that the upper two digits of the counter are not working properly. They often do not turn at all, though occasionally the second digit will rotate one place.

The screw does not simply unscrew from the body, as in an ordinary micrometer. I am guessing that I need to remove the nut that in an ordinary micrometer would be the tightness adjustment, but I figured I would ask if anyone had experience before I tried it.

So far I have spotted two other opportunities. There is a plastic screw at the end of the wide spot in the body above the digits. I don't know what it does.

There is also what looks like a hole for a transverse peg or something that has been filled in with glue at the factory.

Bob

Reply to
Bob S

Bob:

If all else fails, you can call these guys.

BottleBob

Yes... I figure that the cost would be more than I am willing to spend.

I guess nobody here knows anything about these things.

Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob S

You might try asking in a watch making group. This is probably more up their alley.

Reply to
rangerssuck

[...]

I've got one of the mechanical digital mikes, finest chink, haven't tried t o dismantle it, though. Your lack of digit advancement is no doubt related to the looseness of the thimble. There's a gear on the anvil shaft that's coupled to a midget Veeder-Root counter for display. On my example, I can see a small segment of a keyway when the shaft is run all the way out(clos ed). I assume that the gear is fixed in position longitudinally and slides on the shaft. As to how it all comes apart, I haven't a clue, mine works. I think I paid like $10 for it off a scratch and dent counter. So probab ly not worth a whole lot of time invested except to answer the question of how it comes apart. The filled hole might be the way the counter is zeroed at the factory, similar to what you need to do to a mechanical dial calipe r to index the pointer on one of those. Poke a wire in and disengage the c ounter. Just speculation on that.

Stan

Reply to
stans4