Met my Match - (Double Flare Disaster)

That was my VW. At 30 or above, hang on for deal life and jab the brakes to see which way it was going, then lean on them.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

My 1950 Austin had hydraulic front/mechanical rear brakes, and since you never hit them hard enough to move the mechanicals if you lost hydraulics, the only way to stop was to jamb the tranny into two gears at once - either first and third, or second and fourth possibly including reverse. If you stopped on a hill this way, you either had someone push to relieve the pressure, or removed the top of the gearbox and pounded the gears out of engagement. Sometimes I wonder how any of us ever survived into adultery. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Try a mid-80s Range Rover. The brake flexible hoses have metric on one end, imperial on the other.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Except in most of Europe, where it's pretty much standard for after-market replacement brake plumbing. The biggest cause of fractured brake lines is hand-flared steel pipe where a nick has formed at the base of the flare, giving an obvious stress riser.

We also use proprietary "Kunifer" brake lines, a 3 layer (copper, nickel, steel) laminate.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Came across an ad for an old chevy in one of those local free used car ads booklets ,and this is what caught my eye this is located at Krall's used cars in Jonestown ,PA if anyone is interested,

1930 Chevrolet four door sedan straight 6 ,3 spd ,only 30,000 miles,wire wheels ,absolutely all original,perfect interior ! the price is 10,900 firm . Now you dont see these on a used car lot anymore :-)
Reply to
badaztek