Metal bandsaw tracking

FWIW.. Any abrasive disk I've used in a chop-saw has accomplished the cut much more quickly when the disk contact is at the thinnest cross section of the material.. apparently not the situation with the rock drill rod, just commenting wrt general shop practice.

Thick square, round, hex, etc cross sections are just generally slow (cut more effectively with a saw and a coarse blade), but any flat stock cuts faster when the disk is approaching the thin width and not the wider surface.

The larger the contact area of the disk's edge, the more heat is generated in the disk, which I believe also reduces the shedding of the dull abrasive grains.. so the cutting action is significantly reduced, or so it seemed to me.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

All of them (about 5).

Interesting. None of the tables I pulled up showed 1.5 mm in M8.

I pulled out another set screw, this one on the handle of the vise. It is also 5/16-18. The hole takes UNC screw without difficulty.

Ah, would that I could. I tried a cut today. The driven wheel started walking - obviously I did not have the set screw right. However, as the Liquid Wrench clearly did some good over the two days I thought I would remove the wheel and have a look. That is when I discovered that the wheel will not come off due to the hinge bar which stops the last

1/8" movement or so. I looked at it this way and that and for a moment I thought about disassembling the whole saw which would have been a bit of a problem single-handed. To cut a long story short I repositioned the wheel, tightened the set screw better, re-mounted the blade, guard etc., re-did the tracking and tension and cut. I must have done some good as the cut was the best I have had from this thing ever: Right angles all around on a 1.25" cut. The saw blade sits where it is supposed to on the wheels.

Good enough for me.

Now I am going to replace that stupid little wheel that functions as a vise lever with something more sensible.

No, but a bit of pain builds character. Or so they tell me.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Inscribed thus:

The die in that photo shows M12x1 RH a standard size.

Reply to
Baron

Looking through Fastenal and McMaster Carr web sites I found a single cap screw M8 x 1.5 mm (Fastenal - $5) and one other fastener M8 x 2.5 (sic).

Neither company carried any set screws other then M8 x 1 or M8 x 1.25.

Neither company carries taps M8 x 1.5.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

Of course. A lot of these places use one photo for all of a generic type of product. (And M12x1 is actually not that standard -- except as the spindle thread on an old Unimat DB-200 or SL-1000. :-)

And note that as a result of the boilerplate that they used, it also says "THREADS PER INCH" instead of "Thread Pitch (mm)" as it should. :-)

Try this URL -- for a M6x1 die (a quite standard size):

Or this one (M4x0.5)

Note also that M12x1 is *not* a usually 1" diameter die. Not enough meat in that diameter.

Here is their M12x1, and it is 1-1/2" diameter.

So -- don't believe the pictures. :-) The ad people who build the web site don't know what they are talking about. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

DoN. Nichols Inscribed thus:

Its often used for lead screws on metric machines being one turn per millimeter. I have a saw that uses it for the rise n fall mechanism.

Ah... I missed that :-(

Yes my die is 1.5" dia.

That is very true. Some of the catalogues that are sent out are hilarious.

Reply to
Baron