Metal shavings request

Have an ongoing art project in California in which we need metal shavings in the following metals: copper, brass, silver, gold. Will
pay per pound. Please contact me if you have any on hand or know where we can get some.
Christan snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

I have a lot that look like brass. We had a guy at the scrap yard going when we dumped them(3000 lb) on the light iron scrap pile. " ya mean that those brass chips are worth a lot more than light iron? " We finally told him that they were chrome iron.
John

    If you mean turnings -- chips -- swarf -- then I think that the odds are vastly against you finding them in gold or silver. Both are sufficiently expensive so:
1)    Most things made from them are cast to near shape, with only     minimal machining being done to them afterwards. (A wax master     may be turned on a small lathe, and used in lost-wax castings,     but not the metal itself.
2)    All possible leftovers -- cut off sprues, filing dust, and even     possible turnings, are re-melted and used for the next project.
3)    You should expect to pay close to as much as you would for metal     of equal purity in an ingot.
    As for brass -- that should be easy to find.
    Copper is a pain to turn, so you are less likely to find that in most hobby shops (and you are mostly reaching the hobby metalworkers in this newsgroup).
    If you *really* want gold and silver turnings, you should expect to buy your metal in ingot form, and turn it yourself, because any jeweler would be instantly re-melting whatever he produced, before it blew away as dust.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
snip-----

Heh!
In my years of precious metals refining, I can't tell you the number of carpets that were refined for values. They need not have even been in the work area, just in the traffic areas of a shop. Carpet from behind the counters of a store that had a bench in the back room were quite valuable. They act as a collector for fine gold particles, which settle to the bottom and won't vacuum up.
Gold and silver chips by the pound? Assuming gold @ $645/ounce (troy), and 14K, in theory, a pound of chips (7000 grains, which is an avoirdupois ounce) would be worth $5,486 in gold, plus the value of the small amount of silver contained within.
Hope this person has a strong financial backing.
Harold

Sigh! A correction is in order. 7,000 grains is an avoirdupois pound, not ounce.
Harold
It's been a while since I swept up the gold and silver swarf in the shop. I suppose I should get around to it.... JR Dweller in the cellar
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

When you do, let me know, JR, and I'll come take that nasty stuff off your hands to save you a trip to the transfer station. :-)
Harold