Springs with axial wire ends?

Is there a common part that is a spring with axial wire ends? In other words, a spring with wires that go straight out from the ends?

I see tension springs at McMaster-Carr, but I'm looking for axial wire springs.

Those tension springs might do what I need, but axial wire ends and longer wire ends would be better (looks like 4 inches is maximum).

Thank you.

Reply to
John Doe

For what purpose do you need a spring of that design? You must understand that commercial suppliers and manufacturers only make and stock products where there is a profitable reason to have those items in mass quantities for distribution. If the spring design you are looking for do not have known applications at the present market to warrant mass production then it would be very difficult to find what you are looking for. If you want the kind of specific design you may have to resort to have a spring custom made by a spring maker. You can even make it yourself if you have the necessary skills.

Go to this site to have an idea on how to make your own spring.

Hunter

Yupper. I'm not suggesting there should be a spring of that type. If there isn't, no problem.

What I really want is a replicator that creates new things out of thin air, on demand.

Yep. There are lots of possibilities. Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

John Doe wrote in news:Pxmhi.9505$c06.5284 @newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

Anthony

According to John Doe :

Were you the person who was looking for the automobile "whiskers" for curb detection?

If so -- you could use a standard compression spring with stubs which were threaded to match the internal pitch of the spring, and a hole through it to hold the whisker. For making them onesey-twosey style, you would drill through the stub and install a setscrew to hold the straight wire whisker extension.

A similar stub would fit on the other end to mount it to the undersill of the car.

The spring could either be a plain cylindrical one, or could be one of the kind which increases in diameter towards the center, and then decreases again past the center.

If you wanted it for a different purpose, I would suggest the bazillion site on spring making for a few, and talking to a manufacturer if you need a lot of them. Past a certain fairly small number (a few hundred at a guess), getting them made specially could be fairly cheap. The most expensive number is *one* -- because they still have to make the special fixtures, and the cost of the fixtures has to be covered by that single spring.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

FWIW, No, I was just trying to define what I was looking for.

Yeah. And it's possible that simple spring type wire will do. Lots of possibilities.

I understand that the specific item doesn't commonly exist.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Look into magnetic mounted radio antenna. I had to discard several when we got rid of our analog Motorolas, mounted in the truck but not in the dash.

I'll bet a few are available at your nearest flea market. Google for ARRL and find the swapmeet closest to you.

As a benefit, the hams are usually nice folks.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Creative thinking there IMO. Asking is so much easier than trying to come up with something like that every time I need an unusual part. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The part might exist, somewhere, but oftentimes requires mental gymnastics to see what it might be among the billion ready-made things in the market (yes, having a thing crafted should be a consideration too). Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe