Semroc Mars Lander springs

I'm nearing completion on my Semroc kit. I've learned a few things for the next time I build one, but overall this is an absolutely beautiful kit. The one major change I made was to put springs in instead of the rubber bands it comes supplied with. I used some 1/4" wide by 1 3/16" (approx) springs that I got at the hardware store, that measure around

2lbs. of tension. They are the Midwest Fastener spring (for folks whose hardware stores carry them), and they are either number 102 on the display board or 18613 by SKU number.

They were fairly pricey (about $1.64 each), but it looks like they will work out well. I'm going to order some other springs (maybe) from McMaster-Carr to see if they might work out better.

The only 'change' needed to accomodate the springs is that the dowels that hold the spring ends in place is rotated 90 degrees from the way shown for the rubber bands, and I used the 1/8" dowel (the thicker one) instead of the thinner dowel.

In retrospect, though it would be hard to build, I think I should have painted the individual parts of the legs separately, rather then assembling the legs and then painting them. It doesn't appear that it would take much more effort, and it would make for a 'cleaner' paint pattern.

The only 'error' I made in the shrouds is that I glued the ascent shroud just slightly too tight. I would (in retrospect) ensure that the centering ring on the bottom of the ascent shroud actually fits before the glue dries.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Nah Dave,

The Mars lander was only hard back when we were 12 years old. with decades of hobby experience, the construction was a 'piece of cake' for you now.

Reply to
lunarlos