10X Mars Lander Update

Just thought you all might like to see some 10X Mars Lander launch photos. Andy and I were successful in getting this beast off the ground. Scroll down to the bottom of this link for the photos...

Mike Stoop

Reply to
Mike Stoop

Wow! That is truly amazing!

-Rich

Mike Sto>

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse

Very cool...

What did that thing end up weighing? How high did it go?

- Robert Galejs

Mike Sto> Just thought you all might like to see some 10X Mars Lander launch

Reply to
Robert Galejs

What an excellent launch photo. My video work didn't do it justice. I have some static shots if you're interested.

Thanks for the "show"!

Joel. phx

Did Andy ever find someone with launch photos of the SV?

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I didn't know you were allowed to post actual rocket content to rmr. :)

Great rocket and great project!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Nice pics, Mike! Sure wish I could have stayed long enough for the launch.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Just awesome.

Good job, guys.

What was the lift-off weight?

Reply to
Gary

Here is my proposed flight #2.

150# 98mm (5120L, 10.2kM, 15.3kn, 20.4kN, 30ko) 4x54mm (2560K, 3400L, 5100L,5600M) 11' x 10'h M1939/4J330 175# M/J, +40#for N/L liftoff
Details of proposal:

  1. 98-20400 N 3000 - STD 7sx650# 10200g pro

  1. 4x54-5120L 1000-WS 3.4sx337# 2600g pro 3.4sx1348# 10400g aggregate curve
0-1998, 3.4-1998, 3.5-650, 7.0-650, 7.1-0, 20600g/45.47# 215# Liftoff weight

WELCOME TO ORBIT98.BAS. CD TO MACH 10 AND PRESSURE ALTITUDE TO 2,320,000 FEET COPYRIGHT 1983, 1984, 1986, 1991, 1996, 1998 JERRY IRVINE

ENTER NAME OF ROCKET (50 OR LESS LETTERS)Lander DO YOU WISH TO RUN ALT2 (SINGLE/BOOSTER STAGE) VERSION OR JERRY (UPPER STAGE) VERSION? (ALT2=1 JERRY=2) 1 THE TIME INCREMENT FOR THE RUNGE-KUTTA CALCULATIONS IS 0.10 SEC DURING COAST. ENTER TIME INCREMENT DURING BOOST (0.01 SEC OR 0.10 SEC) .1

ENTER ROCKET MOTOR BURN TIME (SEC): 7.1 PROPELLANT WEIGHT (LBS): ENTER ZERO TO INPUT GRAMS 45.47

ENTER CRITICAL ENDPOINTS OF ROCKET MOTOR THRUST CURVE IN TIME INCREMENTS OF NO LESS THAN0.1 SEC (ROCKET MOTOR BURN TIME MUST BE LESS THAN 40 SEC)

AT TIME=0.0 SEC THRUST=0.0 LBS AT TIME=BURN TIME THRUST=0.0 LBS

ENTER NEXT ENDPOINT ENTER TIME (SEC)= 0 ENTER THRUST (LBS)=1998 ENTER NEXT ENDPOINT ENTER TIME (SEC)= 3.4 ENTER THRUST (LBS)=1998 ENTER NEXT ENDPOINT ENTER TIME (SEC)= 3.5 ENTER THRUST (LBS)=650 ENTER NEXT ENDPOINT ENTER TIME (SEC)= 7 ENTER THRUST (LBS)=650 ENTER NEXT ENDPOINT ENTER TIME (SEC)= 7.1 ENTER THRUST (LBS)=0 TOTAL IMPULSE POUND-SECONDS = 9233.1 TOTAL IMPULSE NEWTON-SECONDS = 41068.8288 AVERAGE THRUST NEWTONS = 5784.342085 AVERAGE THRUST POUNDS = 1300.43662 SPECIFIC IMPULSE (LB-SEC/LB) = 203.05916

HOW MANY MOTORS (OF THE SAME TYPE) DOES THE ROCKET USE? (IF MORE THAN 1, ENTER TOTAL PROPELLANT WEIGHT OF ENTIRE CLUSTER FOR PROPELLANT WEIGHT OF ROCKET) ENTER NUMBER OF MOTORS= 1 VERIFY THE ENTIRE THRUST CURVE? (YES=1 N0=2) 2 MALEWICKI CHART DATA (ALT v WEIGHT)? (YES=1,NO=2) 1 ENTER LOWEST REALISTIC WEIGHT OF ROCKET VEHICLE (LBS): 215 ENTER MAXIMUM LIFT-OFF WEIGHT OF ROCKET VEHICLE (LBS): 315 ENTER WEIGHT INCREMENT, DELTA W (LBS) 20 ENTER ROCKET OVERALL REPRESENTATIVE SUBSONIC CD, CDr (THE OVERALL REPRESENTATIVE SUBSONIC CD IS THE AVERAGE OF THE CD VALUES AT REYNOLDS NO. OF 10^6 AND 10^7) .39 ENTER MAXIMUM DIAMETER OF ROCKET (INCHES): 132 ENTER LENGTH OF ROCKET (INCHES): 120 ENTER TEMPERATURE OF AIR AT LAUNCH SITE (DEG F) (SEA LEVEL=59 F, LUCERNE DRY LAKE=80 F) 80 ENTER AIR PRESSURE AT LAUNCH SITE (IN-HG) (SEA LEVEL=29.92, LUCERNE DRY LAKE=27.6575) 29 SPEED OF SOUND AT LAUNCH SITE (FT/SEC)= 1138.822251

Lander CDA (IN^2)=5336.90586 ORBIT98.BAS COPYRIGHT JERRY IRVINE WEIGHT ALTITUDE BURNOUT BURNOUT MACH ALTITUDE COAST (LBS) (FT) ALT (FT) VEL(FPS) MAX (MILES) TIME (S)

--------- --------- --------- --------- ----- --------- --------- 215.0 1157.6 1076.8 100.0 0.2 0.2 2.1 235.0 1144.0 1060.6 98.9 0.2 0.2 2.1 255.0 1129.7 1044.4 97.7 0.2 0.2 2.2 275.0 1115.1 1028.4 96.4 0.2 0.2 2.2 295.0 1100.0 1012.3 95.1 0.2 0.2 2.2 315.0 1084.5 996.2 93.8 0.2 0.2 2.2

Mars Lander

1 N3000-STD 4 L1000-WS 2000# thrust (1.0 Ton) 1100 feet in 9 seconds. "It all happens in front of you."-TM/SM 2003
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thanks, Jerry, I got the weight from the link you provided.

A quick question on your program?

The 132 inch diameter caught my eye. Is that the diameter of the landing legs? It just seems this would imply a LOT of cross-sectional area in a typical drag equation.

And don't take this wrong, I'm just curious; what Basic is your program written in and what is it running on? Years ago, I did some development work in Visual Basic (as specified by contract) on a GUI front-end for an IBM mainframe database application. I actually liked the integration of Microsoft's Access Database into the Visual Basic system (this is high praise from an acknowledged Microsoft hater) and the project was relatively easy to implement because of that. Of all things Microsoft, Visual Basic is about the only thing I've ever cared for. Well, okay, and Flight Simulator.

Reply to
Gary

Body diameter. The legs are "fins".

That was run on Chipmunk BASIC on a Mac. It also runs on some DOS BASIC's :)

Wanna switch it over to something modern?

I would support that 5000%.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'm not sure any translation I could make would move it into the "modern" era. ;)

I have no Windows languages or IDE's any more and I despise Java (Hack, spit. ) on "philosophical" grounds, no offense to Sun. Nor do I have any experience with graphical interfaces in GNU/Linux.

You would be much better off (in the sense of maintainability and expanding the user base) with someone who could put it on a Mac or PC with a modern OOP language and GUI running under a popular window manager (Windows, GNOME, KDE, whatever the Mac uses, etc).

But, if a command line GNU/Linux version in Perl, Python, or C would help, I'd actually be happy to translate it over.

Reply to
Gary

I would BUY someone a Mac (BSD Unix with a fancy GUI OPTION) if they would port it to Codewarrior or something which is cross-platform.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Had to look up Codewarrior; didn't know it was an IDE.

Someone familiar with C/C++ or Java is apt to jump on your offer. In fact, Jerry, a good IDE could make the translation of your Basic program to C, at least, fairly easy and C is about as portable as you can get. There are freeware/commercial programs which will convert typical Basic program files to ANSI, or other dialect, C source files. Buy YOURSELF a new Mac and go for it.

I would assume Codewarrior with a C cross-compiler package would import that C source file (which WILL have some errors) and tell you just about anything you needed to know to fix it; C analyzers, preprocessors, and debuggers have been around a LONG time and are very good at their jobs. The cross-compiler allows you to generate code for systems other than the one you are programming on, ie, produce a Windows program on a Mac.

A good IDE, or C package, can also provide a lot of help in adding the GUI I/O code. You could be cross-platform, if not ultra-modern, all on your own, AND have a nice new Mac programming station. :)

Just a thought. It will take a little research, but if you can write a useful Basic program, a C conversion shouldn't be too hard.

Reply to
Gary

Lift off weight was 192lbs (ya should've seen me doing the CG with this thing - a story for another post). Anyway - had 25lbs of sand in the nose for balast. 4 outboards were started with a pull pin, the ejection was done with redundant timers set for 10.5 seconds - which actually turned out to be a little too long - should've used a MAD :)

We forgot to put an altimeter in it :( but sims put it at about 900 feet - low and slow.

- Mike Stoop

Reply to
Mike Stoop

Well, it was our pleasure! Still can't believe we flew this beast.

Yes I think Andy did end up finding a liftoff of the SV.

When are ya coming out to CA again?

- Mike Stoop

Reply to
Mike Stoop

Yea, the weight on that link was what we were trying to achieve :) Actually, our original target was 130 lbs - guess we missed that one too. We were a little too optimistic about the foam/glass construction technique.

So Jerry, did you think we'd ever get it off the ground when you saw it at Narcon? :)

-Mike Stoop

in message news:...

Reply to
Mike Stoop

Absolutely. As I told you then, I expected it to work, to go really low, and that on landing it would break and that I strongly suggested sticking a thick dowel out the back to dampen the landing. Advise you did not take, and it did indeed break on landing, despite a perfect landing on a HUGE parachute.

I hope you can be there for flight #2!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I would easily call it one of the top 5 best rocket flights of all time.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

what's your list of top 5 flights?

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

This request is faaaaaarrrr too on-topic for rmr.

Lander

Kline Monocopter H5 (AT for USR of course)

Rogers 25k flight I was booted for (it was a great flight using a Powertech motor USR exclusive of course (the partnership between Kline, Rogers, Irvine, Kosdon, and others)).

Snitch C6-3 (okay 10 flights) at Four Corners USA (AZ, UT, NM, CO) with American Indian local residents present in true awe.

Tall Tail 10 (2xBT-70 + 2xBT-60 + 2xBT-55 + BNC-55 Goblin + 3" root 3:1 eliptical balsa fins 2" from rear + 24mm motor) mere D12-3!!! In front of stadium FULL of football fans. Standing O.

Any rocket with any K250 from either U.S. Rockets or AeroTech (Aero Technology Company).

Maxi-Orbital Transport at LDRS-1.

First rocket at LDRS-1. Hi-Test 2420 by USR using ACE parts of course!

Just Mere Jerry

reality check:

"Aerotech should change it's ads from 'the future of HPR is solidifying...' to 'the future of HPR is vaporizing...' "

- Bob Kaplow

"However as Aerotech has shown us time and time again, compliance is voluntary. They do not volunteer."

- Jerry Irvine

"But, your excessive delay problem really has one cause: the company that makes the motor. I have sworn off all Aerotech motors until they get the delay problem fixed. They have been the cause of the death of many rockets lately, both with their reloadable and single-use motors. This is a hard thing to do, since Aerotech has virtually a monopoly on HP motors, but I am going to work with Vulcan and Kosdon motors until Aerotech fixes their crap."

- Craig Utley

Reply to
Jerry Irvine