10X Mars Lander Update

I launched a small pop-pod glider ("sparrow"? From some plans on the net) on a 1/2A3-2t. It broke it's boom durring acceleration (losing the tail), went unstable and arced over, and PART of it smacked me the top of the head. Must have been the top of the glider, cause there wasn't any singed hair. Or maybe it just bounced.

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

Way back when I was in junior high school I launched a rocket I had built from plans. My first one that wasn't a kit, IIRC. But I messed up positioning the engine block and used too little noseweight. Upon stuffing in a C and pressing the button it rose off the rod and made three big vertical loops, burning out partway through the third loop. My friends hit the deck yelling something like "We're all gonna die!" As it came around the bottom of the last loop exactly at ground level it slid to a stop completely undamaged. A few seconds later out popped the streamer which neatly unrolled...I just stood there laughing!

+McG+
Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

R O F L

Model rocketry is "inherently safe" :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Where is Lew Garrow? Saw one of his hybrids do a "land shark" around the field at LDRS in '99 (IIRC). Talk about a potential "pain in the rear".

;-)

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

I don't know about "of all time", but it's certainlyt he neatest flight I've seen this year! A well deserved cover...

Bob Kaplow

Best flight or not it is among the best photos ever on the cover.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ok, I finally sat down and figured out how to put a video online. Here is the link for the 10x mars lander video...

Many thanks to Brian Moulton for shooting this and sharing it with us all - I didn't even think to get out a still camera let alone a video camera.

- Mike Stoop

Reply to
Mike Stoop

WOW! I have got to GET me one of those.

Reply to
The Other James

Hannukah card list?

Bob Kaplow

Can we get a thread going where we argue the transliteration of that holiday name?

I only know these: Channuka, Channukah, Chanuka, Chanukah, Chanuko, Hannuka, Hannukah, Hanuka, Hanukah, Hanukkah, Kanukkah, Khannuka, Khannukah, Khanuka, Khanukah, Khanukkah, and Xanuka.

I didn't know all of them until the Google search.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

My daughter Emily (age 13) flies her snitch in CHAD configuration all of the time (D12-0, D12-0, 6-6-0) and it is outstanding to watch. However, we flew her slightly modified Snitch on an Ellis Mountain I134 last Saturday.....It burned forever....THAT was my all time favorite flight.....But I might be a liitle biased ;-)

Mark A Palmer TRA 08542 L3

Jerry Irv> >

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Duane Phillips wrote: ...

I think that is called the top half of a "hot air balloon"!!

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

Fantastic!

John Stein

Reply to
John Stein

so when is a kit gonna be released?

Reply to
tater schuld

It's a phonetic translation. There is no "right" english spelling. It's sort of the school kids dream. Spell it how it sounds, and you're 'right'.

Bob Kaplow

Been there, done that. 3 times. The third was recovered after a 31 minute flight. The other two are still up there!

Bob Kaplow

Are you sitting down?

He gave it away.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

The run I posted was for the new guy's flight proposed.

Yet another reason to attend Rocketfest.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Well,

Lots of audio, no video us> Ok, I finally sat down and figured out how to put a video online.

Reply to
Mark Hamilton

Here's my favorite - an underpowered KN motor that took a sharp left about

20 feet off the pad. And - how handy - I had my video camera!

David