10X Mars Lander Update

On 9 Dec 2003 12:19:43 -0600, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Can we get a thread going where we argue the transliteration of that holiday name?
I only know these: Channuka, Channukah, Chanuka, Chanukah, Chanuko, Hannuka, Hannukah, Hanuka, Hanukah, Hanukkah, Kanukkah, Khannuka, Khannukah, Khanuka, Khanukah, Khanukkah, and Xanuka.
I didn't know all of them until the Google search.
Zooty
writes:

It's a phonetic translation. There is no "right" english spelling. It's sort of the school kids dream. Spell it how it sounds, and you're 'right'.
On 9 Dec 2003 18:50:40 -0600, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

I know, but I figured we could get a good argument going. I just had a long discussion with someone about the way to spell Neandertal.
Zooty
Maybe I should stick to chocolate covered manhole covers.
zoot wrote:

You and Kurt (no, not the chicken one)...
David Erbas-White
P.S. and for those who TOOK the geek test, my first golden retriever was named "Winston Niles Rumsfoord III".
says...

Pretty Pete of Cleveland was our golden.
Best animal ever.
--
Kurt Kesler

I would have bet big time it would have been Foghorn Leghorn. ; )
Randy

My personal favorite of that particular big cluck:
"Oh that woman... got a mouth like and outboo-ord motta... all the time 'put-put-put-put-put-put-put-put pukut-pukkut-pukuck pbbsh pbbsh pbbbshhh pbbbsshhh phoooooohhh'!!!"
http://www.aharrt.org/sounds/outboard.wav
~ Duane Phillips.

"That widow hen reminds me of the road between Dallas and Ft. Worth... no curves."
Randy

pbbbshhh
LOL
~ Duane Phillips.

Our first dog was named after a TV character. The second (current) after a cartoon dog and a rocket scientist. So I claimed my geek point for that. At least I didn't name the dog after a unix command, or vice versa.

L O L !
:>)
We had a Level3 rocket motor land near us at Plasterblaster. I'm not sure if that counts as weirdest, strangest, or most amazing. But what was amazing was I managed to film the whole event. M casing came right out the nose of the V2 some distance off the pad (25'?) and flew under power arcing into the ground. The two slower guys scrambled to get out of the way,...
I watched a rocket take the launchpad with it over the crowd and into a pickup truck. Seems the radius of it's arc'd flightpath was the same as the length of the launch control cable.

Unbolivbable.
In the early 70's I watched an Estes Quest drift away forever. Launched on a 'C' and caught some current up there. Dad chased it in the car, but it never started to drop. Snif, snif.... bye bye first rocket,...
Joel. phx

ROFL. The best power dive I ever saw was also at Ocotillo (Plaster Blaster vicinity).
Despite all this, rockets are STILL the safest hobby on the planet. More evidence any over regulation whether by associations or by aurthorities is vastly misplaced.
Jerry
<< How about the 5 weirdest, strangest, or most amazing flights? >>
I once saw a rocket chuff loudly and jump up about 10 feet off the rod, start to come down tailfirst, then suddenly ignite for a successful launch. Looked kind of a sub-launched ballistic missle taking off!
Another cool flight was a rocket that had regular fins with tube fins on the tip of each fin. It was flown on a very fast motor. About halfway through the burn, all four tube instantly turned into a small cloud of confetti, while the rocket continued on unimpaired.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) wrote in message

Two favorites:
One at LDRS in O'burg a couple of years ago. Big rocket 6'+, right off the rod, did a loop and kept on trucking, straight up. Still haven't figured that out.
Another was a power dive. Big motor in the middle, 4 smaller ones outboard. They lit first and got the rocket up around 100'. It slowly turned over and then the middle one finally came up to pressure.........
Still no one hurt. Safest hobby around.
Jeff M.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jeff Martin) wrote:

That actually happens fairly often, but maybe not on such a huge rocket :)

Sweeeeeeet!
Powerdives rock!

on
Actually saw that happen on a duration contest launch for egg lofting... egg went over the mountains... we tracked it visually for over 20 minutes...
I know whose rocket it was, but they don't post here, and I don't think I will post someone's name who might not want that.
They had a mylar chute on a very warm day.
Too bad you have to retrieve the rocket to win the competition. The result would be a permanent record.
~ Duane Phillips.
Duane Phillips wrote:

And it doesn't take mylar or a rocket to do this.
One time, while skydiving in the Mojave on a hot day, I jumped out of a Cessna (I was first out), fell 500 feet while the parachute opened, and by the time the plane circled back for my wife (then girlfriend) to jump, I had already risen ABOVE the level of the plane (and still going up!!!). If I hadn't reefed in the lines, I'd probably still be up there... <G>
David Erbas-White

egg
result
LOL... that must of been one eery feeling.
~ Duane Phillips.
Duane Phillips wrote: ...

I think that is called the top half of a "hot air balloon"!!