Making small tension springs

Hi,
I will need to make or buy a few small tension springs of around (I'm
guessing) an inch long by 1/4 diameter in something like 16 gauge
wire. My question is : does anyone know a good web or paper resource
to help design springs, ideally with info on how to make them as
well ? I also need to know a place to buy spring steel in small
diameters or failing all that, a good source of supply for small
quantities of springs would do instead .
Many thanks,
Mike
Reply to
Mike
Mike, you want "Spring Design and Manufacture" by Tubal Cain. £5.56 + postage from Amazon - it's a bargain. There are plenty of web resources out there to do the design calculations online, just google for Spring Calculator.
For supplies of the spring material, here's the list I've collected so far of piano wire suppliers:
Hope this helps.
Reply to
Duncan Munro
resource
That will be a very stiff spring with 16 gauge on a 1/4" diameter. Follow Duncans link for the calculator, and google for 'piano wire'
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Mike, Local company to me at Nottingham, Kato-Entex do nothing but make and sell springs. They have a trade counter for callers run by a very nice and knowledgeable lady who often gives you a couple of springs if you need to trial anything.
Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson
Mike We have used this company and been very happy with them, have a look on the site
Reply to
Bill
I've used both these suppliers successfully in the past.
hth
Bob
Reply to
Bob Minchin
Here's a site to look at before you buy books:

hth Guy
Reply to
Guy Griffin
"Guy Griffin" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.localdomain...
Very interesting site - thanks !
Best regards KS, Denmark
Reply to
KS
That's a useful link, but a caveat: A lot of so called 'piano wire' in model shops is NOT these days. I use a fair bit on models etc and it's getting much more difficult to get the real stuff. It is often some soft crap with a ground!! finish, it can't be heat-treated usefully and it cracks if you try to bend it. The only 100% reliable source is the American 'music wire' which is available from many of the model shops listed. It comes in inch sizes not SWG and is not quite as bright as our old PW, but is 'good' material.
Richard
Reply to
Richard
Thanks for all the replies, I'll try to get hold of the book from Amazon. The springs _are_ quite stiff because they're the suspension for some trailing link oleos I'm making for a model plane.
Cheers,
Mike
Reply to
Mike