Making small tension springs

Hi,
I will need to make or buy a few small tension springs of around (I'm guessing) an inch long by 1/4 diameter in something like 16 gauge
wire. My question is : does anyone know a good web or paper resource to help design springs, ideally with info on how to make them as well ? I also need to know a place to buy spring steel in small diameters or failing all that, a good source of supply for small quantities of springs would do instead </cheating>.
Many thanks,
Mike
Mike wrote:

Mike, you want "Spring Design and Manufacture" by Tubal Cain. 5.56 + postage from Amazon - it's a bargain. There are plenty of web resources out there to do the design calculations online, just google for Spring Calculator.
For supplies of the spring material, here's the list I've collected so far of piano wire suppliers:
http://metal.duncanamps.com/info/links_supp2.php?supply_typeR
Hope this helps.
--
Duncan Munro
http://www.m0kgk.co.uk /

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try to get hold of the book from Amazon. The springs _are_ quite stiff because they're the suspension for some trailing link oleos I'm making for a model plane.
Cheers,
Mike

(I'm
resource
That will be a very stiff spring with 16 gauge on a 1/4" diameter. Follow Duncans link for the calculator, and google for 'piano wire'
AWEM

Mike, Local company to me at Nottingham, Kato-Entex do nothing but make and sell springs. They have a trade counter for callers run by a very nice and knowledgeable lady who often gives you a couple of springs if you need to trial anything.
http://www.kato-entex.co.uk/index.html -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
Mike We have used this company and been very happy with them, have a look on the site http://www.cisdirect.co.uk /

I've used both these suppliers successfully in the past.
http://www.leespring.co.uk /
http://www.springmasters.com /
hth
Bob