Metal surface preparation for painting

Does anyone know if paint thinner can be used instead of lacquer thinner for metal surface preparation before painting? Does paint thinner leave any surface film? (Pain direction says use lacquer thinner)

Reply to
Alex

"Alex" wrote: Does anyone know if paint thinner can be used instead of lacquer thinner for metal surface preparation before painting? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ If the metal is CLEAN, it should not need any solvent washing prior to painting I spray paint steel all the time without washing it. Most things that might interfere with paint adhesion, like wax or oil, would be removed by either paint or lacquer thinner. Silicones are hard to remove, and I'm not sure even lacquer thinner can do a good job.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

One of the tests done to determine if metal is clean is a water break test. You just put water on the surface and if it beads up, the surface is not clean. If it stays in one continuous sheet, the metal is clean.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:08:07 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo Lichtman" quickly quoth:

Naphtha is one good remover of silicone and many other oily substances.

- Woodworkers of the world, Repent! Repeat after me: "Forgive Me Father, For I Have Stained and Polyed."

-

Comprehensive Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques