metal wedges wotsit

Can anyone put a name to this?
A tool dealer had 4 small metal wedges.
Each was around 3" long, 1 1/4" wide,
and tapered from around 1/3" down
to 1/32".
This thin end was very neatly done; it really
was of uniform thickness across the whole
The thick end was chamfered, presumably
to allow hammering without burring, like the
top of a punch or cold chisel.
The large faces were ground, with grinder
marks that looked to indicate around 8"
diameter grinding wheel. However,
the faces still had some unground area.
So, I'm guessing these were rough forged, then
finish ground.
So; anyone know what they are/were?
BugBear (with apologies to any rcm'ers who also subscribe to OLDTOOLS)
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
Sounds like wedge shims to me. The tool dealer didn't know? Bugs
Reply to
If they were ground, it was likely for a sliding fit against each other, two wedges pointing in opposite directions to make an adjustable shim. But they're not ground the full length, so that makes me wonder if a wedge goes between some other surfaces to adjust the space between them.
If the grinding wasn't done with a precision surface grinder, but only cosmetically ground with something like a disc sander, then they would more likely be some type of punch or chisel--or still be shims for less precise stuff like woodworking.
Are there any markings on them?
Ken Grunke
Reply to
Ken Grunke
stone splitting wedges?
Ken Grunke wrote:
Reply to
There's a great hardware store in NW Seattle, Washington called Ballard Hardware. They carry "machinery wedges" which sound a lot like what you describe. I have 4 of them and use them a lot. They're just steel wedges. If you put a couple of them in your shop before long you'll find a use for them. - GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Are they 15 degree wedges for physical shifting of something being clamped ? Seems close and the rough measure of 1/3 would take care of error... Typically they are used in pairs - on each side of the work.
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
The grinding was of the "clean up" persuasion; certainly NOT a surface grinder, but equally not an angle grinder either.
There were no maker's marks of any kind, so I'm guessing they were craftsman made.
Reply to
If they are, they're unused, since the fine end was 1/32" across, and perfectly straight, square and uniform.
Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.