metal wedges wotsit

Can anyone put a name to this?

A tool dealer had 4 small metal wedges. Each was around 3" long, 1 1/4" wide, and tapered from around 1/3" down to 1/32".

This thin end was very neatly done; it really was of uniform thickness across the whole width.

The thick end was chamfered, presumably to allow hammering without burring, like the top of a punch or cold chisel.

The large faces were ground, with grinder marks that looked to indicate around 8" diameter grinding wheel. However, the faces still had some unground area.

So, I'm guessing these were rough forged, then finish ground.

So; anyone know what they are/were?

BugBear (with apologies to any rcm'ers who also subscribe to OLDTOOLS)

Reply to
bugbear

Sounds like wedge shims to me. The tool dealer didn't know? Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

If they were ground, it was likely for a sliding fit against each other, two wedges pointing in opposite directions to make an adjustable shim. But they're not ground the full length, so that makes me wonder if a wedge goes between some other surfaces to adjust the space between them.

If the grinding wasn't done with a precision surface grinder, but only cosmetically ground with something like a disc sander, then they would more likely be some type of punch or chisel--or still be shims for less precise stuff like woodworking.

Are there any markings on them?

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken Grunke

Reply to
yourname

There's a great hardware store in NW Seattle, Washington called Ballard Hardware. They carry "machinery wedges" which sound a lot like what you describe. I have 4 of them and use them a lot. They're just steel wedges. If you put a couple of them in your shop before long you'll find a use for them. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Are they 15 degree wedges for physical shifting of something being clamped ? Seems close and the rough measure of 1/3 would take care of error... Typically they are used in pairs - on each side of the work.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The grinding was of the "clean up" persuasion; certainly NOT a surface grinder, but equally not an angle grinder either.

There were no maker's marks of any kind, so I'm guessing they were craftsman made.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

If they are, they're unused, since the fine end was 1/32" across, and perfectly straight, square and uniform.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear