MIG asettings?

Hi all, I am looking for some guidance on setting up my mig machine. I has been a long time since I used my MIG,(long story) and have a few projects for it, so I cleaned it up and am planning to do some welding.

I have very limited MIG experience, so I am hoping that one (or more) of you guys can give me a starting point. Here is my situation:

Welder is a Lincoln Idealarc SP200 Mig. (200A, CV, older but quite nice machine) I am using straight CO2, as that is what I have.

0.035 wire, I do not recall the spec, but it is garden variety stuff used for welding steel angle and the like.

Let's say I am wanting to weld some 1/8" or 3/16" thick steel angle, channel, and/or square stock. I am NOT welding pressure vessels, overhead crane parts, bridges, etc. ie, my welds need to be good and strong, but will not be heavily stressed and nobody is likely to get hurt or die should one of them fail. Apperance of said welds is not really critical. All of my welds will likely be done either flat or possibly horizontal. No vertical or overhead stuff.

What I am hoping for is basics: Voltage settings (my welder goes from 4-36V) wire speed (50 to 400 ipm) gas flow setting (0-70 SCFH)

I plan on some experimenting to get it right, but I am hoping for a place to start, so I don't start off being completly lost in the woods.

Any Thoughts?? Thanks, AL

Reply to
Al A.

I love the way you posed the question - shot down most if not all the 'don't even think of doing this because' retorts. Honestly I have no knowledge on this subject - just had to say kudos on the question. Obviously you have studied this group. Lots of luck. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

speaking of MIG - I have a cheapie MIG machine that I bought probably 15 to

20 years ago - I use it rarely - in fact rarely enough that I really don't need it taking up space in my crowded shop, so of course I'd like to sell it. If I read the label right, it is a 30 to 90 amp unit (in 4 steps), branded "powerMIG". it is a real MIG machine, not a flux core welder. Not too far from Los Angeles. as far as I know, it works, and has a nearly full spool of wire in it. I may even be able to find the nearly worthless instructions.

if you are interested, contact me by unmangling my email below (not by replying to this message):

william_b_noble at m s n dot com "

Reply to
william_b_noble

A GREAT machine I use mine all the time setup just the way your running it

second lowest course voltage setting about 10:30 to 11:00 o clock on the fine and about 1:00-1:30 on the wire speed should run just about right for your 3/16"

If your machine runs a little diffrent than mine, you can change the wire speed and the fine setting while welding, but don't switch the course!

William....

Reply to
William

Al, you should have a chart somewhere on your machine. Here's a link to your owners manual.

may be a chart somewhere in there. Good Luck, walt

Reply to
wallster

Ken, Thanks, that is quite a compliment around here. I have been following this NG for lots of years, since before Teenut, Alta***, the Opposums,and Wheatabix. I don't often have too much to offer wisdom-wise, but this is the first place I ask when I need to know something new.

If I have learned anything about this place, it is:

1-Ask your question 2-give ALL the details you have 3-don't try anything dangerous.

I really do have great respect for all of the guys here. I'm never disappoined. I love this place, right down to the political ramblings, psudo-science and safety-police. Always a good time!

Thanks again,

-AL

Reply to
Al A.

My guess for getting started based on my experience (which is limited) would be: voltage: 1/8" (.125") around 18 volts/ 3/16" (.187") around 30 volts, your machine probably tops out around 1/4" and co2 will penetrate hotter than c25. wire speed (amps) .125" around 180ipm/ .187" around 350ipm gas flow 20-25 (if outdoors higher) these are my estimates to get started with based on mild steel. You will have to adjust it after you get started. Good luck, walt

Reply to
wallster

It's interesting to try and quantify things I just do without thinking. I have a big piece of steel on the welding bench that is just for tuning the MIG. Mine is a 260 amp Dayton (Solar?) Very seldom is the heat range below full power and the feed is about 4 on a 10 scale. I start an arc on the scrap and turn the feed knob until it stops sputtering and sounds good. Weld away! The heat range only gets turned down for material under 1/16". I use C-25 at about 30cfm in calm air.

Just play with it for 20 minutes and you will be an expert.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:43:11 GMT, "Tom Gardner" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

But you'd _really_ like to weld with explosives?

**************************************************** The Met Bureau is LOVE!
Reply to
Old Nick

Nick, I think you have seen into my soul and know my love for stuff that blows-up! Tell my how to do explosive welding, not that I need to, just want to.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Just swap C-4 for the C-30

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:39:01 +0100, Mark Rand vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

hmp hmp....

Reply to
Old Nick