MIG gas flow problem?

I was using my portable 110 v Century 135 MIG yesterday. The welder is about 10 years old and used infrequently (last used about 3 months
ago).
The melt looked like there was no shielding gas. I upped the gas pressure on the regualtor with no improvement. I could not hear any gas flowing out of the end of the MIG gun (Tweeco brand). I unscrewed the nozzle on the MIG gun and could not hear or feel any gas flow. I shut off the valve on the bottle and pulled the trigger and the pressure on the gage dropped immediately (leading me to think that this is not a gas solinoid valve problem).
Should I be able to hear or notice gas flow at the end of the nozzle or at the gas flow orifices under the nozzle? Suggestions on where/ what to troubleshoot?
snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net wrote:

Turn your wire speed to zero. Open the side panel and then pull the trigger with the nozzle up by your cheek. You should hear and feel the gas flow. If it doesn't flow, check to see that your gun nipple is fully inserted into the welder - maybe it's just leaking down into the welder cavity.
Else you have a plug or big leak somewhere else.
GWE
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:22:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net wrote:

Hey Ari,
I'd look for any really really small opening or orifice or tube that those little tiny spiders can get in to build a web/cocoon. That's real common on BBQ's and propane refrigerators, for instance.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Darn fine advice. Then there's rubber seals and stuff that just have a certain life span. This exact case is why I suggest buying a name brand product. You have a problem, you take it to a service center, you pick it up, and it runs for another five or ten years.
Your mileage may vary.
Steve
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:22:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net wrote:

Light a candle (or something similar) and point the nozzle at it. Depending on the gas you are using it should go out, if nothing else you should see it wavering around a bit. Moving the nozzle around a bit farther away and such should give you an idea of flow rate.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On Oct 10, 1:22 pm, snipped-for-privacy@c3net.net wrote:

First off, do you live near Toronto, ON? If so you can get service at the "Century Official Repair Service" at 15 Heritage Rd. Unit 11, Markham 1-800-668-8542 Tell Errol that the guy from Schomberg, ON gave you the information.
If not, check the supply lines for leaks,and as someone else suggested check the nozzle area for obstruction. Very often they can get blocked by weld globules. Best of luck.
If your Century is like the one I had it doesn't have a solenoid. Mine had a Tweeco gun too and there was a valve in the gun that is opened by the trigger. To find out if yours is like this unplug the power cord and close the valve on the tank and then pull the trigger to see if it bleeds down like before. If it does there isn't a solenoid because a solenoid wouldn't work without power. And that means the problem is in the gun somewhere after that valve.
And yes, you should be able to hear flow at the gun if you hold it near your ear, being sure not to feed the wire into the side of your head of course. :-) And if you have one that doesn't use a solenoid you can test it without power so you won't have to worry about the wire anyway.
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"