MIG welding question

What is the correct gas to use for 316 stainless ? I've read several different things on this. One said the argon/co2 was OK and another said to use tri-mix (he-ar-co2). Anybody got any info on this ?

I'm an old stick welder and just purchased a MIG (Lincoln 140C) and am dying to try this out so any replies will be appreciated.

BW

Reply to
willy

Where I work, they use straight argon with their TIG welders, for stainless, and it is mostly 316. Seems to work just fine. I'm sure any of those would be fine.

Cheers,

Al

Reply to
Al Porter

You want to use straight Argon for 316 stainless. You do not want to contaminate the stainless with carbon because the carbon to migrate to the edge of the weld as it cools and in turn makes that area subject to corrosion.

John

Reply to
john