MIG welding with Implanted Cardiac Device

I had a little project today where welding was indicated.

My tests and data taken pre-implant suggested that I should have no problems with MIG -- so I screwed up my courage and had a go today.

No problems! The chest-kickin' mule stayed docile. Material was 1/8" HRS, I'm running .030" wire.

Reply to
Don Foreman

GREAT news Don. nothing worse than not be "allowed" to do something we enjoy. So did the welds turn out ok??? :)

Reply to
K Ludger

Don, Did you use your gaussmeter or is that experiment over? Denis G.

Reply to
guillemd

They did!

Don Foreman

Bravo!!

Hard core, dude!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Not bad.

Ignoramus20263

Experiment done. Gauss meters are for folks who won't get a mulekick if the B-field is higher than expected, ooopsie, WHACK!

I'm still a little chary about TIG, want to do one more E-field check before I return the Fluke scope-meter to its owner.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
Ignoramus20263

Thanks! Tellyawhut, the first 10 seconds did have an element of suspense that Alfred Hitchcock couldn't match.

I'm very glad I went for it. I now feel confident with MIG. Not overconfident, but I think I know my limits and constraints and I won't find them at all onerous or restrictive.

TIG is next. I still have some E-field reservations on that but I'll get there eventually.

BTW, this little box has something to do with making high-precision rifle barrels.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Neater than my chook scratching mig welds!

Reply to
K Ludger

Don,

Second all the kudos and add a whole bunch from me !!

Thanks! Tellyawhut, the first 10 seconds did have an element of suspense that Alfred Hitchcock couldn't match.

I'm very glad I went for it. I now feel confident with MIG. Not overconfident, but I think I know my limits and constraints and I won't find them at all onerous or restrictive.

TIG is next. I still have some E-field reservations on that but I'll get there eventually.

BTW, this little box has something to do with making high-precision rifle barrels.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Sweet! Keep the area clear of objects you could hit and hurt yourself on if you get tazered from the inside and fall down.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I was welding on something today and had black soot covering everything. I'm using an argon / CO2 mix. The shield gas was flowing but I kept getting soot. Welds looked okay.

Any ideas on what is going on? This was MIG.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Tell us more!

Wes

Wes

The only time I've had soot is when I've welded metal that wasn't clean - paint residue etc. I've mig welded on & off for years but I'm a hack so my advice isn't worth much - some of the gurus here will know.

Reply to
K Ludger

I'm making a device for a friend who is getting into chambering and threading rifle barrels for long range competition. This gadget is a carriage-stop alarm with safe overtravel for use when threading.

He said he'd like such a thing so I'm making one for him. No big deal.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Done.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I use a dial indicator oriented such that the needle when straight up (shortly after contact) is the place to 'pull out now' (wes imagines screaming nut from code pink)

I'm pretty sure someone on the list tipped me to that technique.

My Clausing has a clutch/brake which allows the drive motor to run while the rest of the system comes to a dead halt. Cool would be a system that would sense carrage position and kick it from drive to stop. Uncool would be a lathe crash if it failed to work one time.

Oh my gosh. Something on topic. :)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

"Don Foreman" wrote

I knew two things, Don. One, you wouldn't be too long before you gave it the acid test, and two, it would work or it wouldn't. Glad it worked.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve sez: "I knew two things, Don. One, you wouldn't be too long before you gave it the acid test, and two, it would work or it wouldn't. Glad it worked."

Bite your tongue ! That's no way to talk to a man of Science, like Don. He had every angle, every nuance of slightest chance, all figured out before he started.

Bob Swinney

"Don Foreman" wrote

Steve

Reply to