Milling machine clamp sets - Teco vs imports

Are the Teco clamp sets enough better than the cheap imports to make paying extra for them worthwhile?

Is there another brand that should be considered?

These would be for a new mill and I don't want to cheap out if there's no good reason to do so as the set will be a small fraction of the cost of the mill.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

I have both and import and a Teco set. I use the imports and keep the Tecos "for display." The imports work just fine for me.

What k>Are the Teco clamp sets enough better than the cheap imports to make paying

Reply to
Jim

Thanks Jim. I've been wondering the same thing.

Reply to
Kelly Jones

Send me the Tecos and I will have my buddy TiN coat them for you, then they would look REALLY pretty! Actually, chrome would look better and be cheaper.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

He's doing a few sauté pans for me but actually I hope that form follows function here. I polished the stainless to a mirror and hope the TiN has high-temp non-stick properties. Think of the possibilities with the fern crowd.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The slots in the Teco brand are longer and the clamps are slightly thicker.

Reply to
Bad Bob

The mill is a Tormach CNC mill. It's due for delivery in about 6 weeks and I'm trying to make sure all the little things needed will be here by then.

I've got an import clamp set for my Clausing 8520 that has worked all right but some of the T-nuts catch a bit in the T-slots unless wiggled just right and the step blocks don't seem to be well finished. I figured Teco might be better because they are about double the price of the imports but wasn't sure and can't easily check them out before buying.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

I find the fit and finish a lot better on the Teco stuff but the import stuff is functional if a little on the rough side sometimes. For home shop stuff the import if fine, but if I have production stuff I would prefer the teco.

James Crombie

James P Crombie

watch out for sales at enco they run the teco sets at a pretty good price , the last set i bought was teco blocks and import studs and nuts

youcan f> Mike Henry wrote:

Reply to
c.henry