Quick milling machine question

My son is looking into purchasing a small benchtop milling machine and the ones that he has shown me are 4-axis units. While looking at the specs, they only mention x, y, and z-axis, which I understand, but there is never any mention of any other axis. So, what is the 4th axis?

Thanks,

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

||My son is looking into purchasing a small benchtop milling machine and the ||ones that he has shown me are 4-axis units. While looking at the specs, ||they only mention x, y, and z-axis, which I understand, but there is never ||any mention of any other axis. So, what is the 4th axis?

Time??

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

I thought about that. The cost of the machine will determine the Time it takes to save the money to buy one. :-)

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Does the head tilt? Maybe that's "close enough" in marketing-speak to call a fourth axis? Not that I think it is, it's not exactly independant of x-y-z.

bill

NoOne N Particular wrote:\

but there is never any mention of any other axis. So, what is the 4th axis?

Reply to
Bill Martin

Typically, the 4th axis is rotation, the addition of a rotary table for example.

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

[On the Taig mills I sell, the 4th axis is a powered rotary table set on the mill bed in a vertical position. This is called the "A" axis, and it lies parallel to X. Think of a rotissierie over a barbeque, or a lathe on top of a mill. The advantage of it is that one can cut on all sides of a part (but not the ends) without refixturing. Lathe-type parts can be made, or rings, or even sculpture in the round. It really does extend the functionality of the mill, and doesn't cost a lot extra. ]

Andrew Werby

Andrew Werby

Fourth axis is normally going to be a powered or hand feed rotary axis, generally inline with the X but sometimes with the Y and rarely, but not unheard of, flat on the table inline with the spindle.

Now for the "marketing" aspect...I've seen knee and column machines sold as

4 axis machines, the fourth being the knee or table up and down. It's a reach, I know, but there it is. I'm surprised that some marketing guru hasn't twigged to the fact that, in that light, a Bridgeport is an EIGHT axis machine.

Marketing...ya just gotta love it.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

Hey Wayne,

Assuming that you are just looking at a manual mill, the axes are:

table left and right (X) table in and out (Y) table up and down (Z) quill up and down (Z) ram in and out (Y) head with quill rotate in X plane (A) head with quill rotate in Y plane (B) table rotate perp to Z (C)

there are numerous other designations, for instance rotary tables, and rotary tables that can also tilt.

Lots of fun.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply to
Brian Lawson

the axis of evil?

Reply to
ATP

Since my son is looking at the Taig machine, then the 4th axis is the rotary table.

Thanks to all,

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Taig is good kit. Get you and him onto the taig mailing list, and over to nick Carter's website

for info. I have purchased from Nick, but only because of the level of info and support he gives the group even without them buying from him.

Reply to
Des Bromilow

The fourth axis is usually rotational. However, this can be vertical, for shaping purposes or horizontal for scroll work. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Yup...most of them have an output for a CNC rotary table that can be run from within your program.

Gunner

"A vote for Kerry is a de facto vote for bin Laden." Strider

Reply to
Gunner

On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:40:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Bugger!

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick