CNC Mill - 4th Axis Question

I've finally got round to getting the 4th axis working on my Taig CNC Mill. I've currently got it set up so that 1.000" on the CAM software equals 1 degree of rotation.

My question is, is that the way these things are normally configured, or is there some magic formula I need to know?

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

What CAM software are you using, and does it support 4-axis programming? I usually found it easier to do 4 axis programming manually. I'd do a series of programs, rotating the 3D model around it's axis (as it would be on the

4th axis on the machine). Then use a text editor to put all the programmes together, adding a G0 A90 (or whatever angle the part had to rotate through) in between the programs (remembering to pull the cutter clear in Z first).

Not sure what you mean by 1"=1 degree. The 4th axis is usually A, so you have X,Y,Z and A axis to program X,Y,Z in inches or mm and A in degrees.

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

In article , Kevin Steele writes

Ah, the software I have "MAXNC" has no units on the axes, so A is shown as n.nnn. I guess that means that I have it set correctly, in that one unit equals one degree.

That *felt* intuitively correct, but I've been bitten by that feeling before! :^)

Thanks

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

You may find it worthwhile to check out the Turbo CNC package. Almost freeware - they only ask for $20 to register if you like how it works.

This is a rather better DOS-based control package than MaxNC & will drive the Taig 4-phase controller (which I presume you have with your mill).

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Hi Nigel - depends entirely on your CAM software and controller. They can be angular or linear, and with some software either. I prefer angular so 1 unit = 1 degree and let the CAD software work out the distances. Only thing to be wary of is what happens if you want to exceed 359.999 degrees, some packages roll over again to 0 automatically, some will allow 360+, some insist on reversing direction!! (for making a helix etc).

Reply to
Steve Blackmore

In article , Tony Jeffree writes

Thanks Tony, I've downloaded it and am currently trying to get it to talk to my controller (which is the Taig one).

Just out of curiosity, in what way do you find it better than MaxNC?

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

It seems that MaxNC takes the shortest path to the specified point, which is a bit of a pain. I'm experimenting with Tony's suggestion of TurboCNC at the moment.

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

IIRC, Turbo CNC has a more complete G-code implementation, but the main thing is that it seems to be rather better written than MaxNC (which always seemed to me to be rather crude).

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Has anyone tried any of the BDI downloads for CNC under Linux, would like to have the opportunity to ask a few questions if anyone has?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Adrian,

I down loaded the BDI (brain dead insall) for EMC and had it working as a test, but couldn't get to feel comfortable enough in a Linux environment (despite putting myself through a course at the local tech) to do the customisation I wanted, so I am now using TurboCNC on my mill and lathe.

Both are working fine under TurboCNC the Pascal source code of which I have tweaked to match the machines.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson