Milling tube rolling dies

Lesson: If you see a photo of something you'd like to make while surfing, don't say to yourself, "I'll remember where I saw it."

I'm looking for instructions with photos of a guy using an end mill to machine the concave radiuses in roller dies, for use in either a ring roller or a tubing roller. I just can't find the damn site.

Reply to
here

I don't have the data you want but I do remember how our guys did a similar thing on the flat. Basically they just tipped the appropriate end mill a little after calculating the chord they needed, producing a concave surface. I assume you'd do the same thing, but with your rollers mounted on the mill table on a slightly offset indexing head or vertically mounted rotary table.

Pete Stanaitis

snipped-for-privacy@now.net wrote:

Reply to
spaco

If I understand your question to be construed as how would one go about machining a radius in a rod to be used on a ring roller with a milling machine and an end mill there are two ways that come to mind.

First one could use an end mill that is the diameter of the rod and with the rod mounted at 90 degrees to the cutter and between centers with some arrangement to rotate the rod like having one of the centers be a rotary table and the second fixed. The cutter would then side cut until the depth of it's own radius and the rod then rotated so that the grove could be cut all the way around

The second way would be a similar set up but instead of the feeding the rod into the side of the cutter, you would plunge a ball end mill and then rotate the rod.

To extend this a bit further however that is not the way I would cut your groves if it were me making the part. I would use a lathe and cut the grooves with a form tool.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf