MR Photo Contest

Does MR still do the annual photo contest? I don't subscribe anymore, I remember looking forward to that issue, but then I also remember being disappointed more often than not.. just curious

Reply to
brad

I don't think so. According to their website the last one mentioned was

2003.

It's a shame. It was interesting.

The thing with the contest is that one year you'd have winning entries that were very high tech, multiple exposures, filters, forced perspective, burnt in headlights etc. In doing so it scared off entries the next year, so that the winners then would be very simple and straightforward photos.

Then the process would repeat itself. People who saw the simple photos would think they could do much better and you'd get complex pictures again.

Eric

brad wrote:

"Does MR still do the annual photo contest? I don't subscribe anymore, I remember looking forward to that issue, but then I also remember being disappointed more often than not.. just curious

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Apparently not, Brad. There was no Photo Contest in 2006, nor any call for submissions for a 2007 contest.

Actually, if you were still a subscriber you would have also probably noticed that after years of being a centerpiece in the magazine, Trackside Photos has moved to an after-thought position at the back of each issue now. Likewise, increasingly installments of Trackside Photos include mostly photos taken by MR's regular article photographers, to the omission of material submitted by readers.

It's really a shame, as I too always looked forward to seeing the latest Photo Contest and the Trackside Photos pictures. I suspect that the change-over from film to digital among hobbyists had a lot to do with the decision...and if I'm right, watch for Trackside Photos to become just an intermittent feature in the near future.

CNJ999

Reply to
CNJ999

Yet another reason not to renew my subscription to MR. They seem more and more to be just another magazine full of ads, and not much content. If I wanted page-after-page of ads, I'd read the Walther's catalog.

It feels as if MR is no longer interested in being about Model Railroading, and more about selling stuff.

I still buy them on the newsstand...but I will never subscribe again.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Except by buying from the newstand you end up paying like $66 a year. The subscription is like $30 or $2.50 per issue.

Eric

Michael wrote:

Yet another reason not to renew my subscription to MR. They seem more and more to be just another magazine full of ads, and not much content.

If I wanted page-after-page of ads, I'd read the Walther's catalog.

It feels as if MR is no longer interested in being about Model Railroading, and more about selling stuff.

I still buy them on the newsstand...but I will never subscribe again."

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Reply to
curtmchere