Millwrights

We all need a lunch break.... Ron

Thanks ... Millwright Ron
On 8 Mar 2007 19:07:47 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

Union spam, eh? <tsk tsk tsk>
.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! --- http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) laptop privacy/glare guards
On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 06:32:37 -0800, Larry Jaques

While millwrights are indeed a unique and skilled craft set, one American cannot do without....the fact is that the Union component is a rapidly dying and largely self terminating bit of reality.
Unions have done such good work over the past 100 yrs, in changing the labor laws, that they are largely unneeded, though handy to have. On the other hand..they have also priced themselves out of the market, and in suiciding..have taken far far too many good companies to the grave with them.
The only reason there are any unions at all today..is because they managed to get into the Government, and unionized government workers make up the vast majority of the remaining union membership..
Gunner
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide" - James Burnham

The skilled trade unions do a good job of training their people. My brother was in the IBEW where he recieved his electrical training. Part of the deal is that you have to work as a union worker for 10 years or so to pay off the training.
By brother got tired of not working and went out on his own. He wrote the union a check to pay the training expenses to leave cleanly. (There is an exit clause in the contract)
Currently a lot of the union types that looked down their noses at him are scabbing on the side as Michigan's economy hasn't been so good lately.
Wes
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:28:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

That may be so in some cases but it is not so with millwrights.

The UBC has the best and most updated training centers in the USA.

We need Unions more that ever... Ron
On 29 Mar 2007 09:54:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

Sodomized, unionized. What's the difference?
--
Never ascribe to malice that which can
be adequately explained by stupidity.

Excellent point. If you are sodomized..at least the perp may give you a reach around.
Not so the Unions.
See the demise of the Big Three automakers and a number of airlines as some examples
GUnner
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide" - James Burnham
On 29 Mar 2007 09:54:31 -0700, "millwrightron"

Not if they continue to be extensions of the Democratic Party and the Left.
And particularly not if they start signing up illegal aliens as money makers for the Union (leadership)
Gunner
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide" - James Burnham
On 8 Mar 2007 19:07:47 -0800, "millwrightron"

A real honest-to-God millwright is a skilled worker worthy of high respect.
Few union "millwrights" I've known met that description, but I did know a couple. They were sometimes at odds with the union because they seemed to overachieve by union standards. They did their work with ease and could no more slack off or malinger than they could jump over the moon. They couldn't help it, that's just how they were made. A real millwright is competent in a wide diversity of skills.
I was a "shirt" so my millwright fishin' bud and I had a lot of fun bantering. Geez, I dassn't haul the small outboard to the small boat on Little Lake X lest I get a grievance ... freakin' shirt couldn't haul the bait or beer much less the motor and get it right...
We caught us some bass, Ol' Son, yessiree!
Sorry about the double post -- perhaps if I was in a programmers union . . . . I admire the individual skills of some of those that can call themselves Millwrights. OTOH, unionism solely for job protection of those that don't deserve it is an archaic idea at best.
Bob Swinney