minilathe controller

I also bought a 7X10 mini lathe from a liquidator. It was a damaged return and I thought probably the controller was kaput. Turned out to be right on. Before delving into controller repair (probably a pair of Mosfets with a bit higher amperage (and voltage rating) i decided to go low tech to get it useable. I purchased a hardware store ceiling fan contoller costing 7 bucks Canadian then bought 4 diodes 3 amp 400PIV from The Source (aka radio shack) . I trimmed and ground the new control plate housing till the control would fit in the same hole the old pot did that the lathe came with. I shifted the fuse holder west in line with the rocker switch using my dremel as i went to open holes slightly till all was well. I hooked it up to the original fuse holder and soldered the diodes two each in parrallel (I dont want to find I underdesigned so i was in overkill mode and at $1.99 a pair for the diodes who cares) I soldered them to the same end of the reversing switch the stock wires cam out of. Two in parrellel. One set with neg(cathode) to the switch and one set with pos (anode) to the switch. One set was soldered to the controller output, the other to the centre of rocker switch. I soldered a ground eyelet to the green ground wire of the ceiling fan controller and fastened it under the same ground screw as the green motor ground. I plugged all the wires back in their original locations . (white and black power wires to the lighted rocker switch in their original positions and the white and black motor wires to their original positions on the reversing switch. I crossed my fingers and turned it on. It worked!!! Perfectly! Smooth control! Needed a bigger fuse probably because now using proper full wave rectification. I let it run for a half hour . Motor was still cool. Tried to stall it a lowest speed forcing a dull tool bit.. cant. $20 (Can) later I am happy. Time will tell.

Reply to
Don

For any interested I have a wiring diagram of the conversion available just for the asking. Don

Reply to
Don

For about the same price you could get a KBIC on ebay./mark

D> I also bought a 7X10 mini lathe from a liquidator. It was a damaged

Reply to
Mark

You mean $90?

Eide

There are a couple websites out there that have circuit diagrams for the controller board.

For the non electical minded folk,

sells complete replacement motor controller boards.

Good fix on the cheap, congrats!

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I gave it a real hard work out this afternoon. Has lots of torque even at low speeds. I looked at the KB controller.Probably great but is only for a 90v motor and these lathes are 120 volt motors . Also HP rating without the heat sink is very low for the standard lathe motor that comes with these lathes. Price was pretty steep I thought. 89.50 US compared to under $20 Canadian (About $17.50 US) Still I appreciate the tip. Didn't know about them before (KB) Don

Reply to
Don

Dancer Electronics in Connecticut repairs the controllers for the mini-lathe.Got their number from the American made controller on my Homier 7x12.Turnaround was less than a week.Was cheaper than buying one from Little Machine Shop.This is not a dig on LMS,I buy from them many a time for other items.Overall they have good prices.

Reply to
Time Traveler