Mitutoyo center finder

Hi All: I was given a tool recently and as far as I can tell it is called a center finder made in US by Mituyoyo.At least it says it's made in the US but I can't imagine it would be with that brand name. I found one on ebay exactly like the one I have.

I can't for the life of me figure out how this tool would be used or where I can get any info on it. Is it used on a lathe? Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

msterspy

It is used in a height gage for measuring hole distances: from:

Allows quick measurement of center-to-center distance between holes. . Measurable hole diameters: .04"-1.49"

Lane

Oh, yeah, Mitutoyo has had several US manufacturing operations. The #2 building in Aurora was originally built as a manufacturing facility for their CMMs.

They also had a very nice and advanced dial-indicator plant in another suburban Chicago town, back in the mid-'80s. They made almost all of their worldwide production of dial indicators there. The reason it was in the US is that the only places in the world where they could sell enough old-fashioned, clockwork dial indicators to make manufacturing them worthwhile was the US...and Mexico, and a few African countries we've never heard of. The rest of the world was buying digital only by then.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

More accurately, used to find one dimension of the location, in practice, might be somewhere within .005" at best. I have one, prefer using gage pins and indicator, far more accurate and less bother.

Greybeard.

Reply to
Greybeard

Thanks for your help. Not sure if I have any use for this. Seems to me I would need a mounting device to use this. I suppose I could mount it to the tool rest on my Taig. As you can probably guess, I'm pretty much starting out learning about machine tools.I took a Machine processing course at Wentworth in Boston about 40 yars ago and never used anyhing that I learned there. I continued on and go a degree in Engineering. Anyway, thanks for your help and thanks for not poking fun at my lame questions about shop tools.

msterspy