Putting 220v receptacle outside

Depends which country you are in.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

If you did this and some camper guy came along and plugged into it he would fry his rig

Reply to
Greg

You also might have to worry about state and local codes. The US electrical code can be modified by the individual localities or states.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

| Would this receptacle work with 220v if I wired the neutral as a hot | instead? | |

You might not actually have any trouble if you do it, but you should not be doing this.

If the receptacle is a 5-30R type, then it is rated for only 120 volts between any wires. You'd need a 6-30R type.

If your equipment needs to have both 240 volts and 120 volts, then you need the genuine neutral. You need a 14-30R in that case. Otherwise if your equipment is only 240 volts, then you need a 6-30R.

That Ebay item does not have enough info to really judge it. Ask the seller what the NEMA type is.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Hi, what codes to I have to worry about if I'm putting a 220v 30 amp receptacle in my carport? I know it has to have a cover but what else?

Thanks Michael

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Would this receptacle work with 220v if I wired the neutral as a hot instead?

Hi, what codes to I have to worry about if I'm putting a 220v 30 amp

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

| Ok, I changed my mind yet again, I think I'm gonna just install a 4 wire | 50 amp receptacle so I don't have to upgrade later if I want to use an | RV, bigger welder, air compressor etc. I found this 50 amp 240v one, it | says R-54-U receptacle but it looks like (to my novice self) a 14-50R plug. | |

That looks like a 14-50R to me, too. As long as that picture correctly matches the product, that would be the type you want. Be sure it has a UL listing before using it.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Tue, 11 May 2004 04:32:01 -0400, Michael Shaffer put forth the notion that...

It's probably fine. Find out the manufacturer's name. If it's a US company (Crouse-Hinds, Arrow-Hart, Hubbell, etc.), I'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

Checkmate