Switched outside receptacle (USA)

My mom has a new deck, and the existing porch lights leave the steps in a shadow. A pair of solar powered stake lights don't impress me as being adequate for the job. They'd have to come out for the winter anyway before the snowblower found them. I'd like to put in low voltage lighting around the perimeter and steps, with the transformer plugged into an outside receptacle that's on the same switch as the porch lights. The lights are fed from one of the two 15 amp living room circuits. I'm an EE, and know enough to do the job right with a GFCI, weatherproof cover, etc. There are two outside duplexes now, but neither one is close to the deck and I'd prefer to put the lights on a switch instead of the timer. What I didn't find in the NEC is anything to allow or prohibit a switched receptacle. Does anyone here have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Lamond

Perfectly acceptable. I've done it many times for lighting, fountains, etc.

John

Reply to
John Ray

A switched receptacle is fine - the NEC does not prohibit that. Some (all?) low voltage light systems have a photocell built into the transformer so they shut off in daylight - a nice feature, specially when you forget to turn them off.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Switched receptacles are OK and often used. Most are designed so the top and bottom socket can be split and only one switched. Might be the way to go for your set-up.

Reply to
VWWall