Model Engine Builders - Piston Ring Question

Tsalk to the FOX model engine company in Fort Smith Arkansas. One of just a handful of model airplne engine companies still alive in USA. They make engines with tiny cast Iron rings. They might sell you some blank stock or have just what you need.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Can't. Aluminum piston.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mulhollan

Thanks to all who responded. I decided to stop trying to cheap out and ordered a piece of CI from McMaster-Carr.$20 was tough to swallow, but I know what I'm getting.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mulhollan

The cast iron in pipe and weights isn't fine grain that is needed.

Consider the application - a piston ring - must be smooth and without voids that can catch trash that scores the sleeve.

Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A FOX engine that big could lift a large airplane!

Fox is a good company working for many years and improving product.

Martin - former AMA pilot.

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

daniel peterman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Fox was making some pretty large engines. 50 -80cc is not uncommon in model aviation theses days. They made a bicycle motor for awhile. They also make parts for other companies as a subcontractor. I've got about

20 Fox engines in my collection. all run great. Many have rings. They were known for that feature because it was felt they tolerated dity conditions better and rings only cost a couple bux.
Reply to
daniel peterman