modify email

any one know who to send an email with a modified time stamp? in a bind and need to cover my behind

Reply to
larryboy

If you have plans for a time-machine (mechanical), you are free to post them here.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Reply to
Joseph Crabtree

Reply to
Mark F

Sure, that'll work... as long as nobody checks the headers.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Change the clock on your system and give it a test. But, each hop that it goes through puts it's own timestamp in the headers and that you can't do a thing about. Best you can hope for is the email gets seen as delayed by the first hop outside your system.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Sorry: Hand them the big paddle, Bend over, Grab your ankles...

You can set your computer's clock to read anything you want when you send the message off, but the mail servers along the way will put their own timestamps in the headers. If the recipient doesn't look at the headers at all, that might be enough.

But don't count on it - if they do look it's easy to spot, plus you just perjured yourself and gave them written proof. It'll be easier on you to admit it than to get caught in a bald-faced lie.

Unless you can get the Mail System Sysop at your ISP to jigger the system clocks for you, there's no way that will stand up to any real scrutiny. And even then, the timestamp from the next intermediate server along the path will not agree.

And if you try to fake an "Undeliverable Mail" bounce message and say it never went through, it better be a really good job. If the recipient wants to call the ISP's along the way and check their system logs against the headers, that story will blow up.

"Gee, we don't have a server using that name or at that IP."

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

just change the clock naturally.

Might have to re-boot to be sure.

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

larryboy wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn