Modifying "Gorilla" shelving

If you're familiar with the "Gorilla" brand of shelving you know that it's a
steel framework on which (IIRC)MDF shelves are placed. I have a site in my
shop where I need something like this, but only have 42" of room and Gorilla
units -- and everything comparable -- is sold in even foot widths. I'd like
to take a Gorilla unit and cut the transverse pieces to 42" length but that
seems like an awful lot of backbreaking work with a hacksaw. What power
tools might be suitable for doing this? (I'm especially interested in
something I might be able to conveniently rent for a few hours and only have
a sedan to haul it in).
TIA
Norm
Reply to
Norm Dresner
You'll probably need to rent for a day, but a port-a-band would make quick work of it and fit in your trunk.
Reply to
John Sullivan
Joel. phx
Reply to
Joel Corwith
Get a case of beer and trade it for cutting the shelf supports.
The advantage to this is it is cheap, and effective. Probably a lot cheaper than dealing with a rental yard.
Reply to
Roger Shoaf
That's probably not much more than renting it for a couple days.
Reply to
John Sullivan
Mini grinder and a cut off disk. C
Reply to
CROQ
How 'bout a Sawzall with a metal cutting blade? Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling
Look at those Gorilla shelf supports carefully - If I recall correctly they have pins riveted in at the end that key into slots on the uprights. Cut off the end of the shelf support, and now you don't have the pins needed to put it together.
If you need a large quantity of odd length shelves to fit the space available check into buying pre-punched angle in bulk, and renting or buying the special channel shear to chop it off fast and clean. And a few boxes of the 3/8 bolts & nuts to put it together.
You can get a lumberyard to supply MDF or Chipboard shelf planks in bulk, bring a radial arm saw to cut to exact length.
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
I needed some heavy duty shelving for lathe chucks, vises, indexing heads, etc. to fit a limited space. I just bought some 2 x 8" lumber, and made it all out of that. The shelves are 2 2x8s with support blocks of 2x8 screwed to the vertical members, which are also pairs of 2x8s. it has held up well for over 10 years, with little sag of the shelves.
No backbreaking labor, only tools were a circular saw, electric drill with a countersinking bit to drill the screw holes, and a bit and brace with screwdriver bit (beats a crummy electric screwdriver by miles).
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson