Sturdy portable/rollable shelves?

How about grabbing some rectangular pieces of wood, drilling holes through the four corners of each piece, sticking pipes up through the corner holes, and then attaching wheels to the bottom of the pipes. Maybe using some wood glue on the wood to fortify the pipe entry and exit points, with notches in the pipe for holding the wood, etc.

The best strong and light shelving material, if not wood?

For storing tools and whatever other household items. Anywhere between 3 feet and 6 feet tall. I noticed a design is to put two wheels on one side but not on the other, wheelbarrow style.

I'm not trying to invent something, I'm asking for comments and/or other ideas. Naturally I want the movable shelves to be sturdy but light as possible. They will roll on low friction carpet here.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Or maybe something like these Sterilite (plastic) Shelving Units, with wheels added.

John Doe

You would be best served buying used Metro Racks with casters. I have one of those.

Ignoramus31399

This is basically what I was thinking about, without wheels.

John Doe

Thats doable. However..you have to figure out how to keep the shelves apart. Wood glue wont do it.

And the best strong and light shelving material is steel.

Just a heads up.

  1. Lie
Gunner

Great for storing Pampers and other lightweight materials. However....putting heavy stuff on them...disaster

Google "Gorilla" Shelving

  1. Lie
Gunner

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Hey John,

This isn't exactly what I have, but close. Mine has a "solid" panel on each side of the upright frame for the bins to mount on, and I extended it vertically above that with a peg-board panel on each side that brought the height to about 6 feet.

I don't know exactly what/where/why you want these for, but I have also made good use of "hanging" panels on rollers either overhead or a guide overhead and 2 wheels on the floor, so that you can slide/roll it along and see a second fixed panel or shelf "behind" the moving one. The kind you see in hardware stores that provide sliding panels of pegboard. Works very well.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I see several flaws in this idea. First, the shelves have no sides and no back. If you intend to roll the unit around, the stuff on the shelves is likely to fall off. Second, and probably more important, the unit really doesn't look sturdy. Lacking the cross-bracing that a back and sides would provide, I doubt that it will hold up to the stress of being moved, especially on carpet. It will likely twist and "rack" a bit each time, further weakening whatever connects the pipes to the chipboard shelves.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

That type of shelving has a multitude of positive reviews from people who have actually used them.

Lots of shelves have no sides and no back. You can always put stuff in a box on the shelf, like on so many other shelves. And, at least here, I'm not planning on constantly moving the stuff around.

Or, you could use sturdy pipes and solid & thick joints.

In fact, I was thinking about using a thin shelving surface with small blocks of 2 x 4 glued under the corners. That would provide about 2 inches of sturdy contact with the pipe at each corner of each shelf.

But I'm also thinking about using the wall as a brace, and using only two pipes instead of four. Will see.

Reply to
John Doe

They're rated at 150-lb/shelf which ain't terrible and have good reviews for sturdy from purchasers...look like be worth a chance't on one for a trial w/ not much to lose...

Reply to
dpb

Gunner's right. They WILL hold 150 pounds per shelf, and sag quite a bit. Try pushing a loaded one around on wheels and it will collapse with a lot less weight. The only way to add wheels would be to put it on a dolly made of heavy plywood or metal. More expense than the crappy things are worth. I have a few that hold bulky, light weight boxed computer parts. I used one to store canned goods for a little while, and it''s very warped now.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'll take your word for it. Have any of those people added wheels?

And they're less sturdy as a result. Which might be OK if they never move and aren't loaded too heavily.

1 You can always put

When you say "contact with the pipe", how do you envision building this exactly? I've been assuming that you mean to use sections of "pipe" as long as the space between the shelves. But I've reread your original post, and now I think you intend to use one long pipe in each corner, to run the full height of the unit. And you intend to "notch" the pipe in some fashion to enable you to fasten the shelves? How do you imagine that would work?

Perhaps I don't have enough information, and I am not the most experienced guy here by any means. But what I understand you to mean sounds like it will be wobbly and unattractive to boot. The 2x4 "blocks" alone should make it as ugly as homemade sin, but worse, I don't think they'll add much to the strength.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I thought you wanted shelves to hold heavy stuff.. 150lbs..isnt squat.

  1. Lie
Gunner

Lots of folks forget the difference between Static Load and Dynamic load.

And it costs them gear at the worst possible moment

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner