Mostly OT: meeting with some designers of cardiac implants

Any TIG machine will not do. Before you buy, look at the minimum current. The less expensive machines have a minimum of about 12 amps. Too much for needles.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I'll have to try the little torch -- I have one of those.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

We get presentations all the time that are about that large, and it's always because of lots of high resolution photos, many of which are scaled on the slides to the point where all that resolution is mostly wasted. If you have a couple of 6 Megapixels photos on each page, it adds up fast. The military is very big on slides with lots of little images of tanks & planes & the like. Each postage stamp sized picture is taken with a 10 megapixel camera, and then shrunk down for the slides. A high resolution color laser printer will spend an hour printing it out in all its tiny detail, but if folks are only going to look at it on a computer screen it's largely for naught.

In theory, your photos don't need any more resolution than the image size at the highest rez display device folks will use to view it. It's a real pain in the neck to try to rescale all your photos manually, but I think the latest version of PowerPoint may be able to re-scale an entire presentation's photos so that you aren't wasting any pixels for the size of the slides on a regular computer screen.

Another option would be to print it to a PDF. I know Acrobat has an optimizer that can shrink things down a lot, basically using the same idea.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

That's just the nature of Powerpoint. There are 25 slides, nearly all photos, none of which is > 686K and most of which are less than 200K. Many are under 100K.

Reply to
Don Foreman

That's the way we transported PowerPoint presentations to printers and to people in the field, in the medical communications business. As PPTs, they often ran to 300 MB.

MS has never, in my experience, done a decent job with compressing them. You can do it but it requires around five or six steps, within PowerPoint. The biggest offenders are the result of using "Fast Save" (unclick it in the options; it leaves old versions in the file); letting your photos and drawings run out of the cropped area and leaving them that way (you can't see the cropped area, but it's still there in the file); saving as "PowerPoint 95 compatible" (no compression to speak of) and using big files and raw file formats for photos and other illustrations. Depending on how you do it, you may have to convert each one to JPEG (photos) or PNG (line drawings) individually.

It's a pain in the rear. And it's a job that people in the agency always passed on to me, because I was the only one there who knew how to do it. I wasn't smart enough to act dumb.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That worked, shrunk it down to 8 megs.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Doug White's suggestion of trying to print to PDF was a good one. That got it down to 8 megs. I put that up at

I'll leave it up for a week or so.

Reply to
Don Foreman

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 01:13:08 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

Very cool. After seeing how much you did in so little time, I'm even more impressed.

Say, who's that old fart in the plaid robe in the sensor position pic? ;)

P.S: What, no pic of the lapel pin Bawstin Sci gave you?

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I had a question about the various fields but you answered them in the pdf.

Saw your picture, I bet your wife still thinks you are a hottie ;)

Wes

Wes

Got it. Thanks!

The PDF format should be acceptable on the dropbox, if you want it to be up forever. Powerpoint, Word, and a bunch of other things with macro languages are not trusted for good reason.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That's a flannel shirt, dammit!

Don Foreman

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 22:30:50 -0600, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

My bad.

I'm just glad they've come out with technology which will help an older generation keep a heart on.

-- The wealth required by nature is limited and is easy to procure; but the wealth required by vain ideals extends to infinity. --Epicurus, Principal Doctrines

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:50:46 -0500, the infamous Joseph Gwinn scrawled the following:

Oh, he can. He merely rips the electrodes out of his heart through the artery and goes to work with the compact li'l unit. Sweet!

I'll ditto that. (Kudos on not being a run-of-the-mill patient, metalworker, or RCMer, Don. We appreciate knowing you.)

-- The wealth required by nature is limited and is easy to procure; but the wealth required by vain ideals extends to infinity. --Epicurus, Principal Doctrines

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Gee, we all thought the yellow bolt signified striking an arc.

Congratulations. It's not common that such companies even notice an individual customer.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I sure didn't expect that, but I sorta checked and you done drilled the X-ring. Life is full of little surprises, day-yum!

Reply to
Don Foreman