motor voltage question

I am looking at an air blower on an auction site,

I was wondering about the voltage range of the motor they have listed:

BALDOR 15HP 190-380 3PH RATING 40C-AMB-CONT

Then on the a picture of the motor nameplate, one line shows "Useable at 208V = N/A AMPS"

Will this motor run on 220V single phase power, with a suitable 25HP VFD?

I have never seen the voltage range listed like that so it looks strange to me and I don't want to get stuck with something I can't use.

thanks, ron

Reply to
rbce2003

Do you have 220v single phase that you can run 15 horsepower on, or 20 HP for good measure, accounting for derating a 3 phase unit to run on single phase? A look around the Hitachi website might do you to some good info. I was reading through a couple of their VFD manuals there recently, and they are pretty complete, and easy to read.

Gods, only the dogs would be able to hear the power meter spinning, it'd be going so fast. :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Many VFDs, such as the 15 and 25 HP VFDs that I am selling, are capable of reducing input voltage.

Ignoramus25162

Trevor, Yes I have the capacity to run 20HP. But only single phase. I already have a 25HP VFD that should handle it fine, it has been running a 10HP for awhile now with no probs.

I guess the main thing I am worried about is the funny voltage range. Usually on the motors I have seen or had, the voltage lists something like 208-440 or something like that. This particular pump has been up for auction since April or so, and that is also why I am wondering if it is some oddball deal. ron

Reply to
rbce2003
190-380 sounds like European voltage to me, check to be sure it's 60 cycle. It might be 50.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Ah-ha! Randy, you win the PRIZE!

I got a pic of the nameplate on the motor and sure enough it is 50 hz.

Now what?? Sounds like an auction to stay away from! I have a WEG

25HP VFD, I will have to contact them to see what my options are, unless someone here can enlighten me also?

thanks!!! ron

Reply to
rbce2003

AFAIK 50 cycle motors will run fine on 60 cycle power, though proportionally faster.

The 50 cycle motors use a bit heavier windings and laminations in them.

Running a 60 cycle motor on 50 cycle power apparently can result in heat issues, though some motors will deal with it well enough.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Uhhh... Ron?

V F D

Variable Frequency Drive, yes?

Run it so the output is at 50 Htz.

:-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Normally, a 50 Hz motor will run on 60 Hz just fine, running even cooler than normal. The voltage range sounds like maybe it was part of an assembly that needed variable airflow control and it was controlled by voltage instead of a damper assembly. Just a wild guess on my part. Not sure how a 50 Hz motor will run on a VFD designed for 60 Hz, though. Best get hold of technical support for that case.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Why? 50 Hz at 190 volts does the same magnetization of the stator as

60 Hz at (190 x 60/50) = 228 V ; sounds like the motor is a standard 60 Hz design that has been relabeled for use on the other side of the pond...

As long as the thermal protection and insulation are suitably (over)rated, just use it.

Reply to
whit3rd

If it was labeled 60hz and you wanted to run it on 50, there might be a problem, as it may saturate too much at lower frequency and run hot. Going to higher frequency GENERALLY is not a problem, as long as the speed is not critical.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

At a lower freq. you would have to drop the voltage proportionately, resulting in less HP output.

John

Reply to
John