My neighbor was scammed by driveway spraying scammers

If you give them your credit card you have recourse to (a) dispute the charges and (b) disallow anything than ran up on your card. Give them cash and there is nothing you can do.

Reply to
George Grapman

:-) What did you use as a "negotiating" instrument? :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Besides which, most travelling scammers won't be equipped to handle credit card transactions.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Actually some itinerant scammers have developed ways to accept credit cards. They have learned that having the Visa and Mastercard logos give them credibility.

Reply to
George Grapman

Damn! Is NOTHING sacred? :-) Had I thought for a moment I would have realized that with the wireless stuff that's available now for things like gun shows, ets. it wouldn't be too hard to have it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Marsha/Ohio

Reply to
Marsha

Typically they claim that it's leftover asphalt from another job. In reality, it's old oil (motor or fuel oil?). They probably con some garage to give them the old oil for free.c

It even makes a dirt driveway look shiny and black.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Well, the people giving the card numbers must end up feeling overcharged, and not cheated. Or else they don;t know how to dispute a charge. Many don't know.

If they get too many chargebacks, they loose their merchant account.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

He was scammed. This trick has been around for years. Quote a low price, start the job, then demand more money. No different than buying a gallon of mild at the grocery store and on the way out being asked to pay more. If you are that naive, please don't make any big decisions on your own.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks. I had a sense of deja-vu that I couldn't shake and now I know why. i thought this had come up before.

Reply to
Charles Bishop