My new (to me anyway) Maximat7 Mentor Mill

I have just acquired a Maximat7 Milling machine but in bits; everything appears to be complete but the 230v supply cable for mains connection has been cut off. It has four wires Blue Black Brown and Yellow/Green.

My question is does anyone know how to connect it to a three pin 230v UK plug when you have four wires? Or how would you suggest I connect it?

I will post some pictures soon before and after as I bring it back to it's former glory, also does anyone have the instruction/service manual for one in .pdf or other format available?

Thank you in advance

Regards to all

Mike

Other machinery I also have a Myford ML7 in the process of restoration a Warco 220 Mashstroy C210t in as new condition and a 1st class lathe, also a Portass XL lathe.

Reply to
frogsuk

Hi, Mike. Don't have the Mentor Mill, but do have a Maximat 7L lathe/mill combination= . I also have a copy of the manual. It shows the connection for a 3-phase v= ertical motor, not to a plug, but to the lathe switch box. Let's see if thi= s helps any.

The 4-conductor cord has the following connections: yellow-green is protect= ive ground, an industry standard color. The brown, blue and black wires go = to the hot AC mains. There is a note to change the blue and brown connectio= ns if the motor turns the wrong way.

So, even if the colors are not the same as yours, just use an ohm meter to = determine the wire connected to the motor frame and you will know the other= three wires go to the 3-phase mains.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

frogsuk Inscribed thus:

Yellow/Green should be earth, but make a point of checking that. The other three suggest a 3 phase supply !

If it is, as I suspect, 3 phase, then it wont.

Reply to
Baron

There I go assuming, again. I assumed the motor was 3-phase.

If single phase, you need a capacitor to connect between the brown wire and the black wire. The brown wire and the blue wire are then connected to the 230 VAC mains. Yellow-green to ground.

I can't tell you the capacitor value for 230 VAC. If you ask, I can pull the cover from the back of my lathe and tell you the value for running a 120 VAC motor.

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

O.K. I can never remember the UK wire colors -- other than the yellow-green for safety ground.

Probably he needs half the value for 230 VAC from the 120 VAC value.

And -- it should be a somewhat different value for 60 Hz vs 50 Hz, though it probably will be close enough to work.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

If the OP ever returns, will go pull the lathe cover and give him the capacitor value. Looks like he has other interests.

Paul

Reply to
KD7HB