National Geographic Worlds Greatest Fixes (aka WTF :-)

This 3 dvd set caught my eye at me local library. It visits repair sites for some pretty large work sites. (listed below)

It's okay. You see some pretty cool stuff and if you've got some experience in one industrial area, you'll probably have a pretty good time seeing how other "worlds" work and how they are different/same. I'm glad I borrowed it and that tax dollars were used but I am not sure I would consider it worth buying personally.

I'm so-so on the host. For some of the episodes he seems to have a "largish" ego (or the program writers gave him one) and he seems "in the way" for some of these tight knit teams. I guess they are also putting a bit of the reality show (cancer!!!) twist on things too. (I don't know much about reality shows 'cepting for the 1 episode of "Dating in the Dark" ) Basically, I'm like "no way the work teams would let the host be hands on in any critical stages."

I can't "for sure" say how realistic or "not" it is but in the 1st episode, he basically brags about running his SCUBA tank empty twice. I can only hope they did this for dramatic effect but he really came up with ~500 psi left.

Anybody else seen this program and can comment on realism/accuracy? I am enjoying the bearing/ways alignment for the nuclear turbine.

Episode list:

38 ton ducted/shrouded thruster on an oil rig

Boeing 767 pressure cap repair ($5.1 million repair due to a ~10" gash from a parking booboo.

Nuclear turbine replacement

Cruise ship engine

High Voltage power line

Giant telescope

2000 foot tall tower

Alaska Oil Pipeline

Bridge Quick fix

Mississippi River fix

Reply to
jj

I thought it was OK for what it is. I'm not in large size repair so can't comment there. It's on Thursday's on NatGeo Channel. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Let the Record show that snipped-for-privacy@blarf-fake-not-real.com (jj) on or about Sat, 15 Aug 2009 01:03:33 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

My guess is that like gas tanks on cars, for air tanks there is "empty, time to go get more" and then there is "Empty! - we just ran out!".

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

SCUBA tanks used to have a J valve that stopped the air when you had about 10% left, you pressed the valve and got ready to surface. Now it's more common to have a visible pressure gauge, but you have to remember to look at it.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Ah old school there David. I never used on but I am told that one major failing of this design was you had to toggle a valve lever to the reserve position otherwise it wouldn't retain reserve pressure.

I think my favorite work project of the 3 dvds was replacing a tv antenna at the top of a 2000 ft cable stayed mast.

Reply to
jj

I found it more useful to pay attention to how long I'd been down and start up before the J valve told me to.

Ever heard of a local firm, In-Place Machining?

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Visible pressure gauge is good, it lets you plan. But that there "j valve" is a little more idiot proof. A little more ...

pyotr filipivich