need lathe help in Phoenix ?

Commonly quoted as MCM. Thousand circular mills.

Ha ha, another example of non-standard abbreviations, the use of "M" to denote thousand instead of using "K."

Jim

jim rozen

Not only did they _not_ select the correct one, they selected one that refers to _another_ multiplier. Yes, my respect for this system and its creators is going up by the minute!

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

The automotive industry has its own SAE wire guage sizes, which are, of course, different from (smaller than) AWG guages.

;-)

Don't forget the circular mil-foot. For example, Nichrome (60) wire is

675 ohms/circular mil-foot at room temperature.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Interestingly the use of "M" to denote thousands predates the rationalization of units and prefixes. One of the most common places to find this is in old purchasing doucuments. This goes back a long way.

Jim

jim rozen

Hum - how about the mil for angle measurement in Military flight and ?gunnery ?

I have a nice large protractor that is in mils 0-500 for the 0-180 degrees. I don't know if the military chose mil from old gunnery methods and tables or did it for state secret stuff. The math - trig and such had new tables for mil.

Martin

Reply to
Eastburn

Try Roman numerals. :-)