need lathe help in Phoenix ?

I have a retired friend in Phoenix who needs some minor lathe work done. Any suggestions on low cost shops for 1/2 hours work? tnx hank wd5jfr

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area. What does he need done?

I have a 13 x 20 Metric lathe.

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

That's a very small lathe...

;-)

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Only if he's using mm. If cm, it is a nice small lathe, about the size of my Compact-5/CNC. If meters, it is a serious sized lathe. :-)

I haven't encountered anyone using decimeters in a *long* time.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The only place I've seen it is in school science books, usually in explaining liters, as an illustration of the neatness of the metric system. If water or beer or gasoline came in big metric cubes like the drawings in those science books, how would you cordon off a cubic decimeter of it, anyhow?

Give me a bung and a pint-sized mug...

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Joking aside, linear measurement in a shop environment is _always_ expressed in mm (when using metric). If a machine is 50m long, they will write 50 000. My sister and a good friend of mine are in archetecture at university. They seem hell-bent on using cm. Sometimes when I'm cutting parts out for my friend's models I stop reading in cm and revert to mm. "I can't cut that piece of wood off at 1mm...."

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

And I've been suitably chewed out in a machine shop for saying "tenth" and meaning tenth of an inch.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I tend to hear thou or tenths (I've heard people using tenths meaning 1/10. They get *told*). I hate it when people use the term, "mils" for ANYTHING. The shop I'm in works about half and half metric and inch.

Using "hundredths" takes some getting used to... Sucks if you're in metric mode and someone asks you a question about a part in inches. Slows the whole process down.

My girlfriend is in chemistry. So tried to convince me it would be ok to use scientific notation on prints to express tolerances. "Uh, ok dear..."

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

It depends on your field. Mils are commonly used for specifying pin spacings and other small dimensions in electronics work (at least, in the USA). And yes -- it *does* mean 1/1000th of an inch there. I just checked, and the "units" conversion program in unix understands it, as observe:

====================================================================== izalco:dnichols 22:25 > units you have: inch you want: mils * 1.000000e+03 / 1.000000e-03 you have: ^D ======================================================================

I would have no problem, as I've used them for a long time, but most shop people probably would.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'm with Robin on the mils thing. I cringe when someone uses that word. And usually ask the person exactly what measurment is desired in thousandths of an inch. If any doubt remains, we add written communication. I would rather appear to be maybe stupid than to make something wrong and remove any doubt.

mj

Reply to
michael

[ ... ]

So -- what would you do when faced with the data sheet for an integrated circuit, or a connector, which states clearly that the pins are on "50 mil centers" or on "100 mil centers"? That is the way that they are spec'd by the manufacturers -- not just what some guy used as slang. If you're going to work in that field, you have to get used to the units used in the field.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Engineering notation would be better (3 decimal place jumps, ie milli, micro, nano, etc).

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Simple, since I don't work in that field......

If I were to do so, and develope the need, I could probably ask you. No? ;~)

At any rate, be certain to be certain before going forth.

michael

Reply to
michael

I cannot think of another imperial unit that uses greek prefixes (this is where someone points one out).

Just because an industry has decided to use "mil" as their standard doesn't mean it is right. Especially when it can easily cause _so much_ confusion. What about drawings for some kind of circuit board production machine designed by people familiar with circuit boards and not internationally recognised measurement standards?

Do ISO or DIN recognise these units?

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I doubt it, as they are European. As well as being standard in the electronics industry, it's the way that plastic film is specified. You want to order some heavy polyethylene bags? 0.004" or 0.006" ? Better ask for 4 mil or 6 mil, because they won't understand you otherwise. And the copper on PCBs (in North America) is not specified in microns, but in ounces (per square foot is understood), and PCB area (even in Asia) is specified in square inches.

I think you just have to get used to it- it's a different problem domain and you need a slightly different language- like you don't talk to a child or to your GF exactly the same way you talk to the guys here, eh? ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ah, humbug.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Forgot the "B"

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

"mil" is a commonly used term for measuring the thickness of plastics and other material.

Mike Eberle> "D>

Reply to
mikee

And the cross-sectional area of wires (for current capacity calculations) is often (in the non-metric part of the world) given in "circular mils".

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Circular mils? I've never heard that one before. I think I'll stick to the automotive industry for now...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.