Re: Phoenix Modification Help

I currently have an Estes Phoenix rocket and would like to start using

>higher power motors (i.e., RMS E and F). However, since I have never used >the RMS motors, I was wondering if they will fit in the standard Estes D >motor mount. Not sure if you need to remove the motor clip or not on the >rocket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

They'll fit fine. With the single use AT motors, no modifications are necessary, but for the RMS if the mount is built for a standard D motor, you'll need to file down the forward portion of the motor hook in order to allow the delay well of the RMS to clear. If it's an older release (like mine) the motor mount will be designed for the old Estes BP "E" motors, and will include an orange cardboard spacer for use with standard D's. You'll find that the orange spacer fits perfectly over the RMS delay well, and no motor hook modifications will be necessary.

Wow. Did I just post tech?

"Tech" Tod

Reply to
hiltyt

At Last!!!...A rocket type thread on RMR...I'm not sure but I believe you must have a longer motor mount to go above a "D"...not a problem unless you've already built the stock mount...am I right guys???

Reply to
Hippiestew

Been there, done that. The Aerotech single use Es fit fine. The RMS case has a delay well that protrudes forward of where the front end of the engine hook grabs the engine and you will need to grind down the front end of the motor hook so it will clear the delay well. You don't have to take much off. As I recall, the delay well is about the same size as BT20, so if the hook does not stick inside a 50-20 centering ring (I believe that is what they use for the engine block on the Phoenix) you are OK.

Use Rocksim or something similar to get the correct delay. Because of the high drag of the Phoenix, the required delay will be shorter than you might think. We tried an E11-7 at NYPOWER just because that was what we had (OK, so that's a bad reason to use it) and it was obvious that the 4 second delay would have been better. Ejection was way past apogee, but the shock cord held up and no damage was sustained.

Larry

Glenn Diener wrote:

Reply to
Larry W. Hardin

The RMS24 delay closure is a tad larger than BT-20. you also have to peel out a CR2050 ring if it's used for a motor block. Either is MUCH easier to do before the rocket is built, but can be done to an existing rocket with patience.

Bob Kaplow