BIG DADDY E

Lots of new stuff from Estes on the way.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector

Shame that isn't 'Big Daddy 7xE' ;) They'll fit in there!

I know one EARS regular who will be very happy at this news, since he's crashed, lost and even burned more Big Daddy's than I can list!

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Not sure what a Big Daddy E is. But if you put an Aerotech E into a stock Big Daddy, it will rock!!!

Reply to
Greg Cisko

You can't do that without modification, can you?

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett

Sure can. The AT E15 and E30, and the RMS 24/40 are size compatible with the D12. Most rockets that will fly on a D12 will fly fine on the E15 or E18 reload, although the reload casing will slightly affect the CG, so it might need a tad nose weight.

I haven't seent he announcement, but I'd guess that The Big Daddy E is modified for the longer motor mount. IMHO the rather heavy Big Daddy is a poor choice for the E9, but flies great with the D12 or the AT WL and BT alternatives.

Bob Kaplow

A J350 also fits,;-)

Woody

Reply to
'Woody' Wood

constitutional

Reply to
Larry

Bet that goes into the nosecone :)

Mike 'Mr Big Daddy' Hoffman of EARS flies his on 1 and 2-grain Pro38 motors. I believe the one he does that with was previously a stock Estes Big Daddy, it even has the original balsa fins! His previous Big Daddy adventures have included a completely hideous (!) 3-stage CHAD-staged 15 motor monster. Amazingly all the motors lit, shame it was going horizontal by the time the third lot came in!

I've seen a picture of one with an AT I65W in it too, that must be pretty cool. I bet a J90 would work too.

Reply to
Niall Oswald

I tried a Big Daddy with seven F72's at the Sayre Regional in April. Most complete shred ever. Nothing recovered except 5 of the MMT tubes with two feet of recovery harness hanging off. Incredibly fast but ugly flight. The Quickburst cluster igniters did light those motors instantly, however. -Braz

Reply to
elbraz

Yes you can. I did for many years.

Reply to
Greg Cisko

A J90 would work for sure. Mine (yet to launch) just nicely seats a Pro-54 J210. That will be a "nice flight". I had hoped to launch it at LDRS24 but won't make it. Perhaps later in the year.

J90 would rule though.

Len Bryan

Reply to
Len Bryan

Well, if you will put an 'I504' in a rocket designed for a D12..... ;)

How was the BD in question reinforced? Did anyone get any photos ?

Reply to
Niall Oswald

In the Big Daddy, yes. In any D12 rocket, no. Might shread some.

Bob Kaplow

Nial, the bird was built for E9's, but the opportunity came to test the new igniters from Quickburst, and my evil twin came out to play. The rocket held together until the end of the burn, as near as could be told from "eyeball analysis". I think that the heat from the motors cause the aliphatic resin glue joints to fail. I used microballon filled epoxy to reinforce the joints as best I could after I decided to do something unwise, but, alas, the total shred came at burnout, about 300 meters up, and only four of the MMT's survived as recognizable rocket components. There are some before and after photo's, nothing very interesting or instructive, and the lift-off photo was, of course, only a column of smoke. However, the 'Daddy I built with a 19 A10 cluster over a flashpan did win the 'Sayre Shootout' Big Daddy drag race later. I was lucky enough to be assigned a pad near the middle of the line, and the droop of the caution tape "finish line" overhead let me nose out the H275 powered Daddy at the end of the line. It took about ten reviews of the video file to decide the winner. Victory, even if undeserved, is sweet. The North Coast "Big Brute" kit that was the prize shall be named "Droopy Dog" with the appropriate decal, if I can steal an image somewhere... (The Kit was donated by Howard of "Rocket Space", a fine POTSROC based vendor) -Braz

Reply to
elbraz

Sounds like a 'really cool flight'! I'm sure with appropriate reinforcement (G10 fins perhaps too?) you could do that again :)

6 or 7 E9's makes a nice combination too, I've got an Estes Rubicon coming that should go nicely on 7 24mm BP motors. 19 A10's! That sounds pretty damn cool too. In ones and twos I'm not sure I like the mini-motors much (especially as pretty much anything on an A10 or A3 is gone and tiny in a flash) but 19 at a time is more like it :)

Is the video file online anywhere? I have a seemingly insatiable appetite for rocketry videos...

Just out of interest, did you get much of a (blue) flame out of 7 F72s?

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Who knows? My head was swiveling so fast I sprained my neck, but everything was still a blur. The 'Daddy drag race video may show up on the OKC Tripoli website, try there in a few weeks. -Braz "> Just out of interest, did you get much of a (blue) flame out of 7 F72s?

Reply to
elbraz

Whoa - I can't *imagine* a J motor in a Big Daddy...

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett

I just meant because the E motor is a bit LONGER than a D. So, you'd have to remove the motor clip, and use some other method of retention.

Or, remove the thrust ring, and use a masking tape thrust ring... Hmm... :-)

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett

Nope. The E15 and E30 SU motors are EXACTLY the same size as a D12, and will fit in the existing clip. The RMS 24/40 is designed to do likewise, but will OCCASIONALLY have a problem. The problem comes from the forward (ejection) end of the clip. If it sticks out too far, it will catch the RMS delay/ejection closure. It's relatively simple to file it down enough that it still functions as a D12 hook, but allows the RMS casing extension to pass. It's a LOT simpler to do this BEFORE you build the rocket, but I've done it enough times on already built rockets as well. I take a rat-tail file and slip a 3" length of BT-5 over it to prevent dorking up the back end of the motor mount. Then file away, testing occasionally to check progress.

Bob Kaplow

Hang on to your hat. I've seen I powered Fat Boys, an a J in 'Daddy isn't too surprising.

Bob Kaplow