To Barry Tunick and Estes...

Dear Barry

Your new kits are cool. But please fill in the blank and release a SpaceShipOne ASAP.

Thanks!

Really. No someone else didn't get access to my account.

Bob Kaplow

They have "pre-released" it already.

It is the X-prize one called "secret".

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

he knows that. that's why he wants them to "fill in the blank". The image is a blank cut-out and it says "secret" or "top secret" or something like that.

I would guess the license fee just went up....

Did M&M Mars send them a check?

-Fred "been to Hackettstown" Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Bob,

They do have it planned as a release. As Jerry stated, it's the one marked Top Secret on the pictures at my website. It will retail for $14.99. They are still working out the licensing agreement with Scaled Composites.

Reply to
Scott D. Hansen

Now they have bragging rights to add to their literature.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I've been away for awhile, but, from the Estes catalogue, it looks like it was taken over by people who know what a model rocket is. Am I correct?

Reply to
Bart Lidofsky

Someone discovered BAR's are 800% more numerous than starter set buyers :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

There are smart people at Estes and there are also smart people in the major distribution chain (buyers, owners, etc.) who supply lots of feedback to Estes. Lately that feedback has been really, really good.

I've heard rumors that some things are selling faster than they can make or deliver them.

If you want something, buy it now before they decide to allocate resources to something that sells faster.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Cool!!!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Sam Midkiff

A better email address than the one given in the message header is: s m i d k i f f aaaat p u r d u e dottttt e d u

Reply to
Sam Midkiff

I'm still scratching my head about that reported incident.

There were a lot of bad decisions being made back then, like the ominious RTF trend, the Star Wars fiasco, reduction of engine variety, and the elimination of some attractive kits. The assault incident sure didn't make Estes' leadership look good at all.

Estes' is definitely doing good things now, though. Quality has been good and Estes' has released some fun, innovative, and challenging kits.

The re-release offers, too, have been most attractive. There are good things happening at Estes these days.

One wonders, wassup?

Dwayne Surdu-Miller SAROS #1

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Has anybody actually SEEN the new kits in stores yet?

David Erbas-White

Fred Shecter wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Since I started flying in the late 60's Estes has re-released many kits. I can't understand why they never re-released the Interceptor. Everyone I ever talked to thought it was one of the best they ever had.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I remember the Interceptor. It was one of those ones that I always wanted, but the local hobby shops never had in stock... sigh...

Dwayne Surdu-Miller SAROS #1

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Define "new".

Plenty of new kits shown at the fall/early winter 2003 hobby shows have arrived.

The ultra-new kits shown at very recent hobby shows are not supposed to show up until later this summer 2004.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Maybe somebody lost or ruined a couple of the plastic molds. I know smaller diameter versions of the nosecone have been used in recent years, but I don't recall them using the actual nosecone, tailcone, or pods for any other kits after the Interceptor went out of production. I don't try to keep up with that stuff, so I don't know for sure.

Reply to
Tim

The original Interceptor used injection molded plastic parts. As the cover rocket for a particularly popular year I would not be surprised if the molds are old.

Making a blow molded version of the Interceptor (original) wouldn't be impossible, but it was what it was so a reissue might need to be injection molded for consistency. Just a 4 cavity mold this time :)

A "Colossus Interceptor" 2.6-3" diameter 29mm with 24mm conversion to mainly fly with OTHER BRANDS OF MOTORS would be cool and then release a

24mm D40-4 to fly it with Estes product.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

"new" = X-Prize contestants

David Erbas-White

Fred Shecter wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

ultra new kits (X-Prize) are not out. A call to Penrose should get an estimated release date.

Anybody

Anybody

Bueller?

(MicroMaxx Super Value Sets were due to arrive at Hobby People on June 20. They haven't. Quest product number 5618 and Hobby People number 818603. Retail $39.95 (I expect HP to discount that). Any day now.......)

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Hopefully they aren't going to model the Washington State entry, the Rubicon. Don't want Fred to have to deal with another flaming tumbling disaster!

steve

Reply to
default