Oh great. Here we go again.

*And* they call it the "explosive ingredient in missile fuel", too..

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Now we need to regulate milk.

Or do we use milk to our advantage? If 2% milk is still considered milk, we could legally ship 98% AP without regulation. Now, is milk and oxidizer or fuel? :)

At the very least, I see a theme for the next DesCon. :)

mike

Reply to
Janine and Mike

Ironicly enough, the story is from the Associated Press (AP)! So maybe the problem is news media in our drinking water...

Bob Kaplow

Typical media BS. They also claim perchlorates have been "linked" to thyroid damage despite the near-total lack of any scientific proof.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I wonder if milk contains any of that "other" rocket fuel, dihydrogen monoxide? :-)

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Our Precious Bodily Fluids.

-Shread "POE" Vector NRA #1 Paramount Leader

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Perchlorates are also the oxidizing ingredient in highway flares, too... I'd say the manufacture and use of flares is probably responsible for at least as much perchlorate contamination (such as it is) as any "missile fuel" activities.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

DR. Strangelove....... shockie B)

shockwaveriderz

Kosdon is my "counter-proof".

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

100 x as much
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Works for Tripoli too!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Moooving further OT... I hate top posting. A gallon of Milk costs about 50% more than a gallon of gas.

In Iowa there was a small story about a man who is making bio diesel fuel to run in his diesel Golf. He makes about 4 gallons at a time by cooking used vegetable oil, alcohol, lye, etc. in his kitchen. He claims it costs him $0.49 a gallon and it is good for the environment.

Now for whatever reason, someone turned him in to the Iowa government, who is now requiring that he fill out a bunch of forms and pay fuel taxes of $0.22/gal. for each gallon of fuel that he makes. NOw this tax is actually just a road use tax, and nobody is complaining about the tax itself. However, the state is likely to collect $5/month from this guy, and it will cost more than that just to process the paperwork. It seems to me that if somebody had it out for this guy, he might be violating some fire code, or manufacturing fuel in a residence without a license... Maybe that hits too close to home for some RMRers. I think I'll just pass on the milk and drink some more home brewed alcohol.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

That sounds about right. You can usually get the bulk of the raw materials for free from certain luxurious eating establishments. However, pure veg oil is better. Of course that doesn't include time or the extensive equipement (Funnel with fry screen, drum, trolling motor, heater...). Plus he can sell off some process waste for soap making, but that's a different story.

Well diesel isn't the most flammable stuff. I've not read of its manufacture violating any state or local regulations. I did read of a similar story in the UK and thought 'what a joke'. It is surprising that some state legislator didn't make this 'farm issue' an er,.. issue. I did read of one who actually applied to pay {I think California} tax and they granted him some type of wavier due mostly to the small amount of tax they could collect.

Joel. phx

On the other hand if he just used it in his equipment, there's not much they can do. The fuel for farm is of different color so they can check to make sure you're not using it in your vehicle. Oh, and anything you put this stuff in might need new filters, fuel lines and seals. Search on BioDiesel or visit

Joel Corwith

Geez David! I just got through eating dinner. I nearly lost a perfectly good pound of Porter House. ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Also doesn't include the tax charged by city/state/feds. Strip those off commercial fuel, and it's a better comparison.

It's "use tax" where some goes to paying for roads/road work etc. Last I heard, tax was close to $1/gallon in most places.

So let's all make our own fuel, and let the roads go to heck! I don't need no stinkin roads if I got cheap fuel!

Heck, I can grow tobacco and make smokes for far less than $4/pack too!

The Oil companies are NOT reaping huge profits due to the price of fuel.. If you think they are, buy stock in ExxonMobil and you'll get your cut! (XOM on the NYSE)

Reply to
AZ Woody

Did a lie work for you and your shipment of "model airplane parts" (;-)

Fred

Reply to
W. E.Fred Wallace

Sales tax is in there as well. Are you suggesting that I have to pay sales tax on something I make and use myself? ""Some goes"" I would think all the use tax on gasoline would go to roads, but it doesn't work that way. Heck, the fact the plates cost $600 when I paid $30 in the midwest means money ain't going where it should.

How much "road tax" is paid by an electric vehicle? They're not dependent on foreign oil either (Go Nukes!). Fuel is taxed at the pump because it is convenient today. They could just as easily set a tax at emissions or vehicle inspection time.

You can drive to the reservation if you want to avoid all the tax on tabaci. Takes considerably more time than making biodiesel, and I'm not quite sure the stuff would grow here.

So what? We are creating a huge deficit buying the stuff.

Joel. phx

Working on a 54mm to-be-named-later rocket. What you building?

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Reply to
David Weinshenker

That's truly "mind-wobbling". Why would anyone go to all this trouble to get mouse milk and make cheese from it???

Reply to
RayDunakin