BIG DADDY E

The E15 and E30 are the same size as a D12. Not sure about any other Aerotech motors, but I'm sure there are some, maybe an RMS casing.

Reply to
John Bowles

Assuming the J-350 in Rocksim is the right length, it would be sticking about halfway into the nosecone. Some other J motors may fit through.

Of course, you could cut the nosecone so the motor would fit, and pack the parachue around the motor...

Reply to
John Bowles

I think that's 'price of admission' for this kind of modification. Mike Hoffman's L1 'Big Daddy' (it was a clone made with PML parts) had the 'chute in the nosecone, and I believe did his bashed Estes big daddy.

Perhaps the J460/J275/J90 casing (54/852?) or a Pro54 2-grain would be a better bet. Dunno if anyone does an even shorter 3" J...that would be cool. The Pro75 full L is 4 grains, making each grain a full J's worth, I'm sure I've read of EX motors in this config. (1-grain 75mm J)

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Big Daddys on H & I motors is easy. It's the danged G that you lose 'em on... Voice of experience.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Aerotech E. Forget the estes E...

Reply to
Greg Cisko

for all those who might want to see

big daddy modified for 29mm, adapted down to 24mm AeroTech F39-3T.

Clear payload compartment designed to transport a fish. in link it is full of water

Estes Chute failed. only damage was one broken fin (kit stock)

Reply to
tater schuld

Should this be in the FAQ?

Gary?

:)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Dorsal Fin??

Reply to
Jim M

In article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Jerry Irvine at snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote on 5/16/05 2:01 PM:

Of course...now that they're available again.

Gary

Reply to
Gary C. Rosenfield

Just found this, looks cool, seems appropriate to this thread :)

Niall Oswald

This past weekend, at the TCC Dairy Aire launch, one flyer put up a Big Daddy on a J800. Mind you, this was not an upscale, it was an actual size Big Daddy. Made entirely of fiberglass, no electronics (no room!), so it used motor ejection. Estimated altitude was 9000 feet. It used "reward recovery." A reward was offered for it's safe return. I'm proud to say that my daughter collected that reward. The Big Daddy was found about a half mile from the launch pad. One other unusual occurrence at the Dairy Aire launch was the blues band that played Saturday evening. Now, when was the last time you saw a band at a launch? TCC does it right! What a party!

James

"'Woody' Wood" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
James L. Marino

Balsal :)

Reply to
tater schuld

July 4 approx 1987 Lucerne.

Point!

What website has Dairy Aire dates?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Videos? Photos? That is something I would *love* to see! Must have been one hell of a flight.

That sounds pretty cool too - blues and rockets, two of my favourite things :)

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Wish I had pics... But that would be tough. That thing was doing close to 400 miles per hour when it cleared the rail! Rocket go bye-bye! If there were any pics taken of it, they will be published in the club newsletter. I would expect the Dairy Aire issue to be out in about a month. Watch at

.

James

Reply to
James L. Marino

That's the idea. I had to hack a hole in the nose for the chute on my F100 powered Big Daddy.

Bob Kaplow

Let me guess - the weight of an H or I keeps it from going too high, but the G is much lighter in relation to thrust?

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett

I think its just Murphy at play!

An H or I motor is likely to have a better mass fraction than a G motor, if that's what you mean?

Maybe its just because the H or I ones shred 50ft off the pad ;)

I600R in a Big Daddy, now that I'd like to see!

Reply to
Niall Oswald