need piece of 3/4" type K

Hi,

I'm looking for a short (1 foot) piece of 3/4" type K copper tubing. Does anyone have any suggestions other than ordering a 3 foot piece from McMaster Carr. I tried several plumbing and refrigeration places locally and I would have to buy 10 or 12 foot piece. I'm located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
xkbal

Ask a plumber for a scrap?

Reply to
Bob Meyer

Sure, I got one. Cost you about $18CDN to ship it, though. Why not just buy a ten footer? Lot cheaper than paying to ship!

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I'm still looking but I haven't found any cheap places to buy a small piece. So far the only place that I've found that sells less than a full length is McMaster (part number 8967K21) and a 3' length is $34.79 US. I'm going to be out fo town working for the next week or so and some of the places I contacted will hopefully get back to me by then. If not I will contact you and see if you are still interested in selling your piece.

Thanks

Grant Erw> Sure, I got one. Cost you about $18CDN to ship it, though. Why not just buy a

Reply to
xkbal

Tried several plumbers already with no luck.

Bob Meyer wrote:

Reply to
xkbal

i have a 2ft piece of 3/4" plumbing copper pipe

Ignoramus32140

I've got some 3/4" type M tube here as well. The type K is heavier wall, .065" vs. .032" for type M or .045" for type L. It's the type K I'm looking for, is that what you have?

Ignoramus32140 wrote:

Reply to
xkbal

What you need is a plumbing *supply* store, not a plumber!

GWE

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Home Depot sells 2' pieces, not sure if it's type K or not, though. No Home Depots in your area?

Reply to
Gary Brady

You might try air conditioner installers. They tend to use the "K" type tubing as it has to stand higher pressures than ordinary plumbing tubing..

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

Home Depot does NOT sell Type K (AKA 'ACR' Grade) - that's the extra heavy wall stuff meant for refrigerant lines and other high pressure applications in the 400 - 600 PSI neighborhood. Very heavy, rather expensive, because it's usually shipped cleaned purged and plugged.

K is the stuff you see in the rafters over the Walk-In's at your favorite Big Box Store running along the ceiling supported by strut, stays nice and straight even when supported every 10 to 15 feet. They also have to put in P Traps on all the vapor return lines going up to the roof to get the oil back to the compressors. Kind of like a fish ladder, the gas velocity will only carry the oil up 10 feet or so at a time without a place to stop and regroup...

Depot has the Type L (medium) and Type M (thin) stuff. Type L will work fine for your home and small shop air lines up to around 150 PSI, any more pressure than that and you really should use Type K.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

K copper was used in Middletown, Ohio to connect from the water cutoff to the meter. I had to replace the damaged galvanized line at my house, and it was the only legal water connection at the time. The gas line was damaged as well, but it was replaced with orange plastic and a copper tracer wire for locating it in the future.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell