Newbie needs bearing advice

Hi,

Is there a source for miniature (1/4" bore) flange mount ball bearings with set screw? I'm currently considering using bronze flanged bushings but the mounted ball bearings would be a timesaver for my project.

Any help appreciated

Ben

--

Reply to
BR

There are some small insert bearings (much like the cartridge for a flange block, but with a cylindrical rather than spherical OD) made in 1/4". I've never seen any smaller that 3/8" anywhere other than in a catalog, so I don't know how easily available the 1/4" are. Fafnir S1PPG7-28 is one example--1/4 bore X 5/8 OD X .469 length overall.

This will give an idea of what they look like, but only down to 1/2" bore...

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Check out

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Look in McMaster-Carr.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

snipped-for-privacy@uci.net (Charlie) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Thanks for the sources. I then tried globalspec.com and searched for flange mounted bearings between 0.2 to 0.25" shaft dia, and there are no ball bearing types. Only needle, bronze teflon etc.. I guess it'll have to be either bushings or learn how to install ball bearings in a properly sized hole without killing them. I see there's retaining rings, or adhesive, interference fit... I'm not sure which method to use. The bearing probably won't experience much radial or axial load beyond a pound, nor above 1000 rpm.

Reply to
BR

BR wrote in news:Xns94F580ABAEB1hatespam@

216.196.97.136:

Check a company called national bearings. The type you are looking for are sometimes listed as 'dental, instrument, or miniature bearings'. I doubt you will find any in spherical design. Most are flange or straight.

Call them and ask for the type of bearing you need.

Reply to
Anthony

The light loads makes the housing fit less critical. Retaining rings really won't be much help if the fit is too sloppy. Depending on how close you can get the bore, either Loctite bearing retainer or "tolerance rings"-

-are an option. McMaster carries both.

If you can live without the set screw for the shaft, both Berg and Misumi make a variety of bearing flanges and brackets that hold standard radial bearings.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I will have to look in my box of small bearings.

Reply to
Wayne

Try Bocabearings.com (I think thats right) in Boca Raton FL, they specialize in small bearings for hobby use, like radio control cars, and have a wide variety of bearings. Steve

Reply to
Steve Steven