Noisy T&C grinder head

I tried turning the spindle by hand, and I did feel some un-evenness in the bearings.

Ignoramus17776

You know, that's both mistaken, and a bit insulting. I'll have you know that I do repair machinery.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Often times you can get by with Grade 9s on the front and Grade 8s on the rear. Just a heads up. Might save you $50-60 if you want to go there...shrug.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

A true "Govnosos" of the worst sort

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If you can feel it..time to replace the bearings. Shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

So what was the last "machinery" you replaced Grade 9 bearings in?

Gunner, who replaced the spindle bearings in his HLV-H last week,, and is now replacing the threading gear box bearings (19 of them)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch on Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:13:41 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Also, there is the difference between expectations of what constitutes "adequate". Which as I think about it, really means "this machine has 500 hours to go before [e.g., the bearings] go." which, for a production shop running machines 24/7 is less than a month. but for a home shop, that may last ten years - and then the bearing will need replacing because they've been sitting so much B-)

pyotr filipivich

Gunner Asch on Thu, 31 Oct 2013 06:42:24 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

The general rule of thumb, especially for commercial operations, is that as you have it "open" now, might as well replace the 'marginal' bits while you can. I.e., when replacing the throw out bearing on a clutch, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to decide the old clutch has a few thousand more miles on it, and put it back in. You tear a machine apart, you replace bearing/seals putting it back together. Save having to shut down and do this all over again "soon." Of course, some of that is a judgment call. "Can I afford to be cost effective?"

pyotr filipivich

Depends on the construction. If a standard 60 Hz motor with belts, then definitely has to be bearings. If a universal motor or other direct-drive high speed motor, then it may actually be designed that way (although annoying). I have an air bearing PCB drill spindle that can run up to 80K RPM or so. It has a "spurt" hole when the spindle lines up with a hole in the housing that lets a burst of air out of the bearings. It definitely sounds like a siren, and also uses a lot of air.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Gets grease marks on you ear though :-)

Reply to
John B.

It is a motor plus belt plus spindle.

Ignoramus17776

I have one (if I could just find it again) which I bought back in the 1960s which has both a 'Y' to join both ears to a single pickup, or dual pickups so you can place one in one location and the other in another location, and tell by the balance of sound which is closer to the source of the noise you are tracking.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

John B. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Heh! So does the good KD tools one, if you don't keep it in its bag, and just let it roam around loose in the toolbox!

(PS... the Snap-On kit is good, comfortable to use, and expensive. The KD Tools version is good, VERY UNcomfortable, and not expensive, at all).

I have not tried the Chinkalloy versions.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Those were invented in New Mexico by Air Force doctors in July of

1947, northwest of Roswell. The APs would use them to distinguish, um, 'illegal' aliens from humans for processing.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think KD and HF had the same mfgr. Good but quite uncomfortable, with the hard plastic earpieces. Silicone rubber covers would really help them.

Then again, they're used for only 3 minutes, and once a decade, so...

Reply to
Larry Jaques