Not What They Were Made For

A couple years ago I bought a 2 pack of DeWalt 10" 80 tooth blades. I've worn them both out cutting aluminum, but I can't complain. They did a really good job and made a lot of cuts over the last couple years. I still have one in my table saw, but its at that point where I know its going to turn dangerous on any cut now.

I've tried a couple other blades, but I kept going back to these until they just broke too many teeth to use. The one on the saw now is still cutting ok, and its only lost one tooth, but its got a couple teeth that will chip weld pretty quick now. That's when the blade gets dangerous and will grab a piece of metal instead of cutting it.

Anyway, last time I looked those blade packs weren't available in the local stores anymore. What other surprise quality blades might be out there to look for?

Somebody gave me some HF blades and they were a joke. Stripped half the teeth on the first cut, and chipped most of the rest. Some of the stripped teeth came out clean, and some took part of the blade with them. Never saw a blade come apart so fast and so thoroughly before.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Have a look at Lennox metal cutting blades. They have been available in Lowes in a 7-1/4" size for metal roofers and so on. They are not cheap but do a good job. If you need me to get a number for you let me know. I think they are available in various teeth and sizes online, but Lowes will only stock their common blade. About $50 IIRC. I put 22 squares (square= 100 sq. ft.) of decra stone coated shingles on my house and bought two blades and made it through with the original 1st blade, but like you say the blade was getting a little testy towards the end. There were two cuts per row of shingles and two valleys and a chimney to deal with. Was running blade on a variable speed shopsmith and had the rpm down to perhaps 2500-3000 rpm. Blade states it will handle standard circular saw speed. I figured it would cut that stone better at a slow speed, YMMV. Good luck with it Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Regrets, that you can't find the blades which work. I've also bought HF "Sawzall" recip blades, and find them worse than useless.

.

Somebody gave me some HF blades and they were a joke. Stripped half the teeth on the first cut, and chipped most of the rest. Some of the stripped teeth came out clean, and some took part of the blade with them. Never saw a blade come apart so fast and so thoroughly before.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here is the webpage link. My mistake earlier........lenox has only one n. :-) Watch the word wrap. Lyndell

Lyndell Thompson

That's surprising; DeWalt is generally the one thing the local hardware and lumber yards can be counted on to have. I just bought a couple replacements a couple of weeks ago; afaict they're pretty much same as always if you want to just go internet mail order for something you're comfortable with.

No idea what somebody else may have local; we don't have the box stores so I can't go on what they have in stock 'cuz I don't know. :)

For medium price range, generally can't go too far south w/ Freud; higher dollar is Amana, Tenryu, Oshlun, Forrest, probably roughly in that order. I'd not abuse a Forrest that way, for example. :)

--

Reply to
dpb

On 5/9/2012 7:52 PM, dpb wrote: ...

I'd suggest if use these this way a lot go ahead and buy a for-purpose Al cutting blade for the type of material and stock you typically use...

Not much different in price ranges from the wood blades...you can go from pretty cheap to pretty pricey.

--

Reply to
dpb

A little OT, but...

A while back I solicited the group for suggestions on quality hacksaw blades. Lenox was by far the leader.

And rightfully so, they FAR surpassed my wildest expectations!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

The biggest problem with HF blades is the uncertainty. Some are good and some are crap. A while back they were selling 10" 50 tooth blades for $8 & I bought one. It was good enough that I bought a couple more. I'm still using the 1st one on my table saw & another one in the chop saw. Wood only, but there is an older HF blade that I've using for AL & it's not lost any teeth.

Not the quality of a $100 Forest (?) or Freud, but plenty good for my every day work.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt