What is it? Set 440

I know the answer for just one of the items this week, hopefully we'll get at least a couple of them figured out:
http://55tools.blogspot.com /

Rob
2552 I assume lots of people will recognize the spark-coil (Model T vintage) in the base in the second picture. It produces a high voltage. This leads me to fantasies about this being some form of decorative light fixture, missing a gas-discharge globe/lamp on top.
On 5/10/2012 4:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Actually, that's a "Fordson" coil. The original model T had a magneto for normal running, but used the Fordson continuous spark coil for starting up or slow idling.
But that aside, I think this is a ceremonial torch that can be lit remotely and on cue. The small vessel on top is just about the right size for some flammable oil and a wick. The spark coil would be used to generate the ignition spark. There's even a ceramic spark gap visible on top.
The fact that it was all soldered up from copper makes one think it might have been part of a trade union fraternal group's induction ceremonies -- like "Plumbers and fitters Union #305 social club."
In fact, I remember that the Lion's Club of America has an induction ceremony where several "lights" are illuminated in succession as a liturgy is read.
LLoyd

Sounds like a good use for it, I'll pass this on to the owner. Another good diatribe Lloyd, you're on a roll!
My newsreader is only showing seven replies to my post today, but Google groups has 14 replies to it. Usually they are pretty much in sync so I'm not sure if it's just my news server or if it's wider spread.
Rob

I would bet that this is correct, thanks.
2551: homemade dust pan? 2552: 2553: upholstery tacks? 2554: fish hook remover? 2555: hole maker of some sort? 2556:
On 5/10/2012 4:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2551, looks like the tray to put under the down spout / gutters. Reduces erosion. 2552. I went through a couple ideas, but none of them made much sense. 2553, my guess is it's some kind of spike, or nail. Used for what, I'm not sure. 2554, maybe part of the brakes of a big truck. 2555, some kind of table top device. Maybe egg beater, for bowls of eggs. 2556, no clue.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 5/10/12 4:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2551 could be a sled to drag the foot of a heavy item on a wooden floor or outdoors. I could use 4 to drag a wood stove across my lawn. I'd lever it up to put one under each foot, then adjust four chains to attach them to a tow bar.
2556 might hold repellent and a wick, to keep insects or woodpeckers away, for example.
On 5/10/2012 3:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

2553 Is a spindle from a cotton picking machine. There are rows of them that spin and pull the cotton off the plant.
2551 A foundry shovel. A wooden handle can be inserted behind the shovel into the loop and pick up the hot molten material or hot coals.
2555 A small hand cranked drill press, or press. The wheel at the top pushes the shaft down, which is rotated by the crank.
2556 A bat house.. for attracting bats to keep the bug population in check.
On 5/10/2012 4:13 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Based on the number of people who say this spike is part of a cotton picker, I would say it's likely to be correct though I couldn't find one on the web to prove it.

2551)    At a guess -- a scoop for coal which can be attached to or     detached from a handle (which is swapped among scoops). Likely     for either a railroad engine, or perhaps for a home furnace.
2552)    Hmm ... what is in the base (I think) looks like an old Fordson     tractor ignition coil. At a guess, I would say that there     should be mounting at the top for neon tubes -- perhaps for     outdoor advertising lighting -- powered by an automotive     batttery. I can't really see much about those fittings or     terminals at about 10:00 O'Clock as shown in the third and forth     views.
2553)    Perhaps designed to be driven into a wooden object to allow it     to be rotated (perhaps for advertising purposes).
    Or perhaps it was a left-over bevel gear (looks rather beat up,     but the image is rather unsharp so it is difficult to tell)     which someone ground to a point as a spike to drive into wood     without actually needing the bevel gear teeth.
2554)    Perhaps part of the mechanism of a reclining chair or other     furniture?
2555)    Looks like another variant of a Cole brothers drill. Clamps     on a workbench top. Drill chuck threads on the bottom of the     central shaft. The handwheel at the top applies downward force     to the drill bit, while the long crank turns the chuck and bit.     Good for drilling through tough steel without power tools.
    <http://www.roseantiquetools.com/id70.html
    It looks like a No. 8 or a No 9 Bench drill, found on catalog     pages 204 and 205 (both show up as page 96 in the PDF of the     catalog.
    O.K. Probably the No. 9, based on the overall length vs the     height above the bench specified in the catalog (18" for the No.     9 and 13" for the No 8.
2556)    Hmm ... on a power pole, but no wiring going to it. All I see     is what looks like a captive chain to keep from losing the lid.
    At a guess -- it is used to store documentation about what the     wiring at that pole feeds.
    Or -- perhaps a recorder to detect and record corona from the     high voltage nearby.
    Well ... those are my guesses. Now to post and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Y'know, things happen in syncronicity.
Just yesterday, I was in the local privately-owned auto parts store. There, loose on the counter with other "things to touch" was a virgin Fordson coil with "$3.95" penciled on the bottom of the case.
I asked the owner Joe about it, and he said, "I bought that when it was new". Well... that's not as exotic a statement as it might sound; they made Fordson coils or replacements for them into at least the early 1960s. I think I remember seeing them in some mail-order catalogs up through the late 1970s.
Lloyd

I am with you. It's a piece of metal designed to bind a piece of wood to a different piece of metal. Best guess is 'lathe'.

    You can't figure out where it bolts on because this is *not* an apple peeler. Those tended to have a horizontal shaft, not the vertical shown here (based on the clamp which mounts it to the table). I (and others) identified it as a hand cranked drill press, with a force feed from the knob at the top. The drill chuck screws onto the bottom end of the shank shown, which you can see is threaded. There were accessories for this which would replace the flat plate with a V-block (for cross drilling round steel rods) and a vise for holding smaller workpieces.
    I found (and posted) the catalog from the maker which shows the device in its entirity.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Strangely enough, the apple peelers my dad has were in fact made by the same company that made the drill press you identified, Goodell- Pratt.
Perhaps should go in "rec.crafts.fruitworking" instead of metalworking :-)
I remember when Harbor Freight just a few years ago was selling a variant of their jigsaw, for butcher shop use, and I made some crack about rec.crafts.meatworking :-)
Tim.
I thought HF had a crank apple peeler.
Their web site delivered zero items for apple, or for peeler.
Strangely enough, the apple peelers my dad has were in fact made by the same company that made the drill press you identified, Goodell- Pratt.
Perhaps should go in "rec.crafts.fruitworking" instead of metalworking :-)
I remember when Harbor Freight just a few years ago was selling a variant of their jigsaw, for butcher shop use, and I made some crack about rec.crafts.meatworking :-)
Tim.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not enough cranks bought them.

Not enough a peel?
Golly, you're about as good with the word play as anyone I've had the chance to meet. Well done!
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Not enough cranks bought them.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've had almost six decades of practice. :)